Question about sea sickness... - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-23-2015 Thread Starter

Question about sea sickness...

I've been in 15-18' seas on a 50' boat (fishing charters) before and I don't have any issues with getting sea sick UNTIL I go below deck. As long as I'm up on the deck, I'm fine but I get pretty sick almost immediately when going below deck in rough seas. How long does it take to get over that??? Is that something that passes relatively quickly? I appreciate the feedback!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-23-2015

Re: Question about sea sickness...

Motion sickness affects people differently. IMO, the best recourse is to learn how it affects you, and deal with it accordingly. It usually isn't a problem for me, but it can strike when it's rough, and, like you, it also affects me when I go below. If I know it's going to be rough, I'll take a motion sickness pill before leaving the dock. If I'm starting a long passage, I'll take them for the first 2-3 days, even in mild conditions, because, after 2-3 days, I'll adjust to the motion and be OK. If it looks like it's going to get rough, I'll start them again. Modern motion sickness remedies have mild or no side effects, and I'd much rather take a pill than become a useless skipper or crew, lying in my bunk, while others tend to the boat. IMO, there's certainly no reason to be embarrassed by taking a pill that will keep you alert and functioning. If the rough conditions abate, you might start to feel better fairly quickly, but, if the rough conditions persist, it might last until the conditions abate, which could be 2-3 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailormon6 For This Useful Post:
AAAC (12-23-2015)
post #3 of 12 Old 12-23-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

The only time I was seasick was during the four years I spent in the Navy aboard a 760-foot heavy cruiser. That pig-iron tub rolled and pitched constantly in slow motion. Since then, it's been smaller boats, and not once have I been queasy.

Good luck,

Gary
post #4 of 12 Old 12-23-2015

There is a lot of very good papers from our military and NASA exploring the neuroscience of this. Rather than go into high frequency and low frequency susceptibility and brain stem circuitry just note there are multiple things you lose on many boats when you go below.
You lose a fixed horizon. You lose clean fresh air. You lose the cooling of the wind. If you sit you lose your ability to keep your head stationary by using your legs.
You gain the smells inside the boat. Given the things in the boat are close to you you gain a visual surround that is discordant to what your vestibular system is telling you. You gain still, warm air.
One of the worst things you can do is go into the head to up chuck. Better to pray to Neptune on the leeward side. Better to stand in the wind with a secure handhold and look afar or take the helm.
If you must go below try to be in the center of the boat, lie down and close your eyes. Lie there for awhile until you feel acclimated. Or if possible and portlights are large so you can see a fair bit of horizon stand with a secure handhold for awhile.

Before you leave make sure the boat is clean and devoid of all smells even if that means cleaning the bilge. Hang in there it will usually past. Had one crew who slept in the cockpit first day out as a routine Found that worked for him.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #5 of 12 Old 12-23-2015
HANUMAN

I suffer the same problem. In rough seas, more often when motoring than under sail, when I go below I get queasy in minutes. I have learned to come up as soon as it starts, have a look around at the horizon and I"m fine in a minute or three.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #6 of 12 Old 12-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Had one crew who slept in the cockpit first day out as a routine Found that worked for him.
I once slept on deck all night in a drizzling rain for the same reason, but found later that, if I just take a pill or use a patch, I can go below and crawl into a comfortable bunk with no problem. In a long race or passage, you need restful sleep when you're off watch.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-24-2015

Feed crew sturgeon. Find its least likely to give side effects. Not available in US but think you can still get it on Internet.
copacabana likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #8 of 12 Old 12-24-2015
HANUMAN

Quote:
Feed crew sturgeon. Find its least likely to give side effects. Not available in US but think you can still get it on Internet.
Does it matter how you cook it? I season mine with a dash of stugeron.

sorry couldn't resist )

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #9 of 12 Old 12-24-2015

Too much Xmas cheer. Thanks for the correction Rob.

But seriously, these meds screw with brain chemistry. Some people have significant adverse side effects from them. Even if you have never been motion sick good idea to know which one will work for you and be tolerated. So good idea to use it as a trial before embarking. In that vein tried the scop patch. Couldn't focus so removed after just a few hours. Would have been bad news if on the boat.
ChristinaM likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 12 Old 12-24-2015

Quote:
Too much Xmas cheer. Thanks for the correction Rob.

But seriously, these meds screw with brain chemistry. Some people have significant adverse side effects from them. Even if you have never been motion sick good idea to know which one will work for you and be tolerated. So good idea to use it as a trial before embarking. In that vein tried the scop patch. Couldn't focus so removed after just a few hours. Would have been bad news if on the boat.
I guess I've been fortunate to not have had any adverse side effects from any of them. I have used them while racing, and didn't feel that they clouded my thinking in the least, or affected me in the slightest, although I'm sure others are affected, as you say. Nevertheless, motion sickness has some very adverse and debilitating side effects, too, and anything that can help prevent it might be a worthwhile trade-off.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.