Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006

jmunson2 is on a distinguished road
book on hull design/theory

Greetings!

Can anyone recommend a book or books on hull design/theory for sailing vessels? On second thought, make that sailing yacht design...I'd like to understand more of how they work, etc., etc., as I've thoughts on constructing some small scale (albeit larger small scale) r/c sailboats...as well as some full size deals too...

Yes, I know that's probably a big ole can of worms, but, you can't go fishing without any either!

Thanks!

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

Last edited by jmunson2; 09-20-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2006

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
You might try "The Nature of Boats, Insights and Esoterica for the Nautically Obsessed" by Dave Gerr.
Old 09-21-2006
seeker

feetup is on a distinguished road
I recently read "Yacht and Small Craft Design" by Gordon Trower.
ISBN 1 85223 709 0 . A bit of simple math and some design formula. Slightly post IOR influence, but explains hulls and keels at least to a laymans level.
Old 09-21-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Yacht Designing and Planning" by Howard I. Chapelle, published by Norton, ISBN 0-393-03169-1

Written pre-CAD about traditional ways, although there may be an update by now.

"Ocean Racing and Offshore Yachts" by Peter Johnson, published by Dodd, Mead, & Co. pre-ISBN, library of congress # 72-4946 which compares & studies a number of actual yachts with an eye on structure, performance and similar issues.
Old 09-21-2006

Thanks all for the suggestions!

/s/ Jon C. Munson II
Old 09-21-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
"Ted Brewer explains Sailboat design" by - Ted Brewer!
and the perennial classic, "Skene's Elements of Yacht Design," - somewhat dated but revised editions available.
Old 09-21-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second Dave Gerr's book. It is an excellent read, and very informative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-22-2006
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
I would recomend "SAILING YACHT DESIGN" by Douglas Phillips-Brit. original published in 1951. my copy/edition published 1971. it is a very comprehensive
book from hull design through construction to accomodation layouts and sail and rigging.
Old 09-26-2006

Greetings!

Slightly on this topic, any of you marine architects, or know of any, that would like to carry on a casual conversation concerning marine architecting? You/he/she can contact me at j munson at his dot com. I look forward to the conversation!

Btw, I have purchased the Killing book, and the two Gerr books as starting material. I intend to actually get a hold of some real-live text books concerning marine architecture. I'll see where it will all lead...maybe my own design shop some day (I "own" a business now, so am quite familiar with the business headaches that go with the territory...just not the specifics with this arena).

Thanks again everyone!

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

p.s. We went out on the 23rd on the Chesapeake Bay (my brother has a Bayfield 25). 20 knot winds, with 25 knot gusts and 3-6ft swells (seemed like higher at times! ). Rough, rough, rough...We, acknowledging our inexperience, went back in. 'Bout an hour out. I had a blast despite conditions (which, admittedly, were a little hairy for such a small boat). Loved that spray!
Old 09-27-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunson2
We went out on the 23rd on the Chesapeake Bay (my brother has a Bayfield 25). 20 knot winds, with 25 knot gusts and 3-6ft swells (seemed like higher at times! ). Rough, rough, rough...We, acknowledging our inexperience, went back in. 'Bout an hour out. I had a blast despite conditions (which, admittedly, were a little hairy for such a small boat). Loved that spray!
Excuse my off topic too….
On Sunday the 24th, we purposely went out on the Elk Neck River with our Capri 14. NOAA posted the small craft warnings and it was about 10 to 20 knots. We reefed before we headed out. We sailed from the State Park ramp to all the way to entrance of C&D canal and having a great time. By 3 O’clock the sun was peeking through, but the wind died, < 5 knots. So we de-reefed our sail, Capri came alive again.

All sudden, a gust came from nowhere and almost flapped our boat. Both my son and I franticly tried to stabilize the boat but I guess we overdid it. The boat was saved but I went over board. It took my son awhile to get everything squared away on the boat. He told me later that sheets were everywhere. He also is not as good helmsman as I thought, because I was always at the helm and he handled the main and jib. By the time I got back on the boat 25 minutes later, the sky was so dark and wind pickup from the south. It was pouring like hell and not a single boat was in sight.

I looked at my son and said “Oh, sh*t”. We were about 1.5 nm from the dock and there was no way we could make it back safety. Not knowing how long the storm would last. I told myself to drop the main and sailed with the jib. At that time we were just about ˝ mile from the south shore of the mouth of Bohemia River. Under controlled, we beached and then we made it to a private dock. Luckily, the home owners were very nice and let us to dock our boat there. This weekend we have to get the boat back.

Well, it was fun and definitely a good learning experience that we were looking for. Many things we have learned from this and will be implementing it the next time we go out.

Sorry for the off topic.