Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006

Azura is on a distinguished road
Varnish vs TSP

My boat is presently dry and unvarnished. The decks are fiberglass in need of paint. The paint manufacturer says I have to wash the decks with TSP (TriSodium Phosphate) prior to painting. My teak trim is sanded bare now. Do I wash everything now and risk raising the wood grain or do I put several coats of varnish on the wood and hope that the TSP doesn't mess up the varnish?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2006

AirborneJarhead is on a distinguished road
I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but shouldn't the teak trim be removed? I ask because I'm about to paint my deck and cabin trunk and anticipated having to remove hardware and teak. If I can do it without removing the stuff, I'm all ears!
Old 09-25-2006

JohnPen is on a distinguished road
I removed all my teak trim a year ago, sanded, 8 coats of varnish, reinstalled. looks great! Only real challenge was finding a decent bedding compound that would work (3M 101) Polysulfide.

You will thank yourself for removing it and doing it the proper way.
Old 09-27-2006

Azura is on a distinguished road
The small teak items, all winches, and hatches have been removed. The boat still has teak coaming pieces and a teak cap rail. I am not removing those. I'm leaning toward varnish first.
Old 09-27-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Seems to me you could either a) mask off all the teak trim with a poly sheet and waterproof tape, wash your deck and paint it or b) varnish all your teak, let it cure, then repeat (a) above.
Old 09-28-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
I would be concerned about the tsp removing the "sheen" of any varnish that has been layed down. I would apply the first couple coats of varnish (to somewhat seal the teak), mask it off, complete the deck painting, remove teak masking, mask deck around teak, and complete the teak varnishing. All will be good.
Old 09-28-2006
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
I would neveruse trisodium phosphate on or near the water due to environmental hazards (harmful to fish etc). They due make a substitute for it however that is phosphate free. good luck.
Old 09-29-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I'd call 3M. For two reasons: they make all sorts of tapes, and I second the concept of using a waterproof tape and poly, since you WILL have to mask off the teak anyway. In fact, 3M makes a "blue" masking tape with poly attached to it, so you can do the masking in one shot. (Any hardware/paint store.) But they also make more durable tapes. If the tape will be left in place exposed to sunlight for more than a week, you want a more durable tape so the gum doesn't transfer to the wood.

3M also makes a full line of painting and refinishing supplies including "prep/solve" a solvent that removes all waxes and polishes from fiberglass to prep it before painting. Yes, you can use that instead of TSP, which is banned in many states anyhow. It will cost more--but like most solvents, it shouldn't raise the grain of the teak. You could probably clean the deck with prep solv and clean rags, THEN mask the teak after it had evaporated off. (Should also clean the teak well enough to get the tape stuck down nice and tight after.)

****'n'span used to be mainly TSP, the ban made then switch formulas AFAIK.
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on what kind of paint you'll be using. If you're going with a two-part linear polyurethane paint, I would remove all the hardware and wood. The paint really works much better if it is applied to the entire deck, rather than applied to the deck around things like deck hardware, and will last much longer. It is a lot more work, but that's what I would do.

I don't think that TSP will harm varnish as a general rule...but it isn't very friendly to the environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.