SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Are there any other "shoestring" sailors ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/23402-there-any-other-shoestring-sailors.html)

Hampstead 09-26-2006 10:43 AM

Are there any other "shoestring" sailors ?

I've asked elsewhere.......Am i the only guy sailing on a shoestring or am i hangin out with the big boys

I sail a 35+ year old Vivacity 24 fin keel (mostly) on the Saint John River, in N.B. Canada........

anyone else out there have a Vivavity 24?

PBzeer 09-26-2006 11:19 AM

Depends on what you consider a shoestring, eh? I'm budgeted for 6K a year, living on a 32 footer. Will be anchoring out 9/10ths of the time, once I head out from my refit (Nov 1).

rockDAWG 09-26-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:

Are there any other "shoestring" sailors ?
It is all relative. :D :D :D

FrankLanger 09-26-2006 12:20 PM

John, with all due respect (and genuine amazement), can you provide a bit more detail on how your 6K budget is allocated? I am thinking of another thread I read here recently, about how much money is needed for cruising--showed quite a range of wealth. It would be helpful to me, and likely to others, to know how your budget is allocated between boat maintenance, insurance, food, clothing, etc. That way we could compare our estimates/budgets, to help us prepare for our futures on the water.
Thanks,
Frank.

jswwrites 09-26-2006 12:41 PM

If you don't start on a shoestring, you end up on one, I've discovered! I've dropped $5k in the last month, which doesn't include insurance or dock fees. And I don't live aboard! Hoping that's the last big hit for awhile...

PBzeer 09-26-2006 12:55 PM

The first step is living on the hook. Secondly, everything is paid for. My only monthly bills are insurance (health and life) and cell/internet. This uses up about half of a small allotment I get and are autopay. All else is paid on an as purchased basis. I sank as much money as possible into the boat upfront, so as to reduce ongoing maintaince costs. Things such as replacing the mainsail, rather repairing an old one. New windlass instead of repairing old. Anything marginal, I replaced, rather than repaired or refurbished.

I have a very small "wants and needs" list. I'm used to living frugally, and while I enjoy the company of others, can be by myself easily. I also determined that coastal cruising was what I would realistically do, so bought a boat accordingly. I don't need to stock up on lots of spares and provisions. I carry things like filters, belts, impellers, etc. but don't worry about a lot of other extras that aren't necessary for getting to the next port. I also carry about a 2 week supply of food, as well as some quanities of staples.

I didn't eat out or party much before moving aboard, so I'm not really doing without anything I'm used to doing. Also, being retired, I have no timetable, so can come and go as I choose.

Part of the budget is an overnight in a marina once every 7-14 days, depending on supplies, fuel, and laundry. I've made myself as self-sufficent as possible within what I had to spend, so as to minimize expenses.

I also have part of my retirement money left as a backup for major repairs, though I do have a small maintaince budget. I should also note that Social Security kicks in in 5 years, and will basically double my available funds. I hope though to remain on the current budget and set the extra aside.

Things such as clothing, I had been buying for the past 3 years and have enough to last for quite some time. And since I plan to stay in warmer climes, swimming trunks are a staple of my wardrobe.

Hope that helps. I've never done a spreadsheet or anything on it, so I can't say I spend this much on this or that. Also, if necessary, I'll work for a while to build things up if I find myself running short. Though I don't think that will be necessary.

FrankLanger 09-26-2006 01:16 PM

Thanks, John. Very helpful.:)
Frank.

Parley 09-26-2006 01:38 PM

We're out here. I think we don't all admit it. I see "the rest of us" (to borrow from Good Old Boat) out on the water every time I go out. Personally, I'm proud to be one of the "rest of us" (oh, that reminds me, I have to order the Good Old Boat burgee). This is a passion, and a very stong one at that. Once bitten, sailors will find a way to sail.

JohnPen 09-26-2006 04:08 PM

this thread reminds me of a great book I read last year when I wanted to lose weight. the title was "Eat to Live" The first question the author asks is :

Do you live to eat or eat to live?

So...

Do you sail to live or live to sail.

I have never pesonally met anyone that works, exists, soley to be able to sail. I want to, but do not have the correct geography (on lake Champlain), nor the proper partner. My goal would be more coast/ocean sailing in the slighly warmere climates. Ultimately, I would prefer to sail the southern oceans in the winter and the New England area in the summer.

Sasha_V 09-26-2006 07:20 PM

You do not want to go to the Southern Ocean in Winter. That is a very bad idea.