Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006
Old Salt

Hampstead is on a distinguished road
Talking Are there any other "shoestring" sailors ?

I've asked elsewhere.......Am i the only guy sailing on a shoestring or am i hangin out with the big boys

I sail a 35+ year old Vivacity 24 fin keel (mostly) on the Saint John River, in N.B. Canada........

anyone else out there have a Vivavity 24?
Old 09-26-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Depends on what you consider a shoestring, eh? I'm budgeted for 6K a year, living on a 32 footer. Will be anchoring out 9/10ths of the time, once I head out from my refit (Nov 1).

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2006
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are there any other "shoestring" sailors ?
It is all relative.
Old 09-26-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
John, with all due respect (and genuine amazement), can you provide a bit more detail on how your 6K budget is allocated? I am thinking of another thread I read here recently, about how much money is needed for cruising--showed quite a range of wealth. It would be helpful to me, and likely to others, to know how your budget is allocated between boat maintenance, insurance, food, clothing, etc. That way we could compare our estimates/budgets, to help us prepare for our futures on the water.
Thanks,
Frank.
Old 09-26-2006
Boat Lover

jswwrites is on a distinguished road
If you don't start on a shoestring, you end up on one, I've discovered! I've dropped $5k in the last month, which doesn't include insurance or dock fees. And I don't live aboard! Hoping that's the last big hit for awhile...

The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
Kate Chopin
Old 09-26-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The first step is living on the hook. Secondly, everything is paid for. My only monthly bills are insurance (health and life) and cell/internet. This uses up about half of a small allotment I get and are autopay. All else is paid on an as purchased basis. I sank as much money as possible into the boat upfront, so as to reduce ongoing maintaince costs. Things such as replacing the mainsail, rather repairing an old one. New windlass instead of repairing old. Anything marginal, I replaced, rather than repaired or refurbished.

I have a very small "wants and needs" list. I'm used to living frugally, and while I enjoy the company of others, can be by myself easily. I also determined that coastal cruising was what I would realistically do, so bought a boat accordingly. I don't need to stock up on lots of spares and provisions. I carry things like filters, belts, impellers, etc. but don't worry about a lot of other extras that aren't necessary for getting to the next port. I also carry about a 2 week supply of food, as well as some quanities of staples.

I didn't eat out or party much before moving aboard, so I'm not really doing without anything I'm used to doing. Also, being retired, I have no timetable, so can come and go as I choose.

Part of the budget is an overnight in a marina once every 7-14 days, depending on supplies, fuel, and laundry. I've made myself as self-sufficent as possible within what I had to spend, so as to minimize expenses.

I also have part of my retirement money left as a backup for major repairs, though I do have a small maintaince budget. I should also note that Social Security kicks in in 5 years, and will basically double my available funds. I hope though to remain on the current budget and set the extra aside.

Things such as clothing, I had been buying for the past 3 years and have enough to last for quite some time. And since I plan to stay in warmer climes, swimming trunks are a staple of my wardrobe.

Hope that helps. I've never done a spreadsheet or anything on it, so I can't say I spend this much on this or that. Also, if necessary, I'll work for a while to build things up if I find myself running short. Though I don't think that will be necessary.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-26-2006

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Thanks, John. Very helpful.
Frank.
Old 09-26-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
We're out here. I think we don't all admit it. I see "the rest of us" (to borrow from Good Old Boat) out on the water every time I go out. Personally, I'm proud to be one of the "rest of us" (oh, that reminds me, I have to order the Good Old Boat burgee). This is a passion, and a very stong one at that. Once bitten, sailors will find a way to sail.
Old 09-26-2006

JohnPen is on a distinguished road
this thread reminds me of a great book I read last year when I wanted to lose weight. the title was "Eat to Live" The first question the author asks is :

Do you live to eat or eat to live?

So...

Do you sail to live or live to sail.

I have never pesonally met anyone that works, exists, soley to be able to sail. I want to, but do not have the correct geography (on lake Champlain), nor the proper partner. My goal would be more coast/ocean sailing in the slighly warmere climates. Ultimately, I would prefer to sail the southern oceans in the winter and the New England area in the summer.
Old 09-26-2006

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
You do not want to go to the Southern Ocean in Winter. That is a very bad idea.