What is your worst saling experience that you lived to tell about? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
The movie, Dead Calm. I was very lucky that Nicole caught my arm as she sailed past at 8 knots.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2006

aquabay is on a distinguished road
Now that was a good reply... nice Jim H.

Aquabay
Old 09-30-2006
Old Salt

Hampstead is on a distinguished road
Many moons ago while a deckhand on an ex: Admiralty steam driven Salvage Tug we rode out a hurricane with a 10,000 ton ship in tow off the coast of Newfoundland.......I spent 8 hours straight at the wheel in the dark of night, it was interesting, especially after the storm passed and in the light of day the seas became even more confused....... I lived to tell the talemany times
Old 09-30-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
I couldnt possibly post it here. But I will post it on Fight Club.
Old 09-30-2006

lawdog is on a distinguished road
I navigated a 51 foot teak sloop from Halifax to Bermuda/St/Thomas. After the 2nd knockdown, in 75 kts with 50 foot seas, and the cracking of the deck at the deckhouse, we called for a mayday. I got picked up by the HMS Sugartrader, a 651 foot tanker. The other 4 people, all Canadians, I never heard from again. I lost my sleeping bag and clothes, among other things on that sloop, Karinska. I guess that comes close to livingto tell about it.
Neal
Old 10-08-2006

bobmrazik is on a distinguished road
dislocated shoulder, boat is upside down, 6 year old is treading water !!

a few years ago, i was with my 6 year old son sailing at creve coeur lake in st. louis, mo. we have an oday super swift (sunfish clone) and was tacking when we flipped. was new to sailing and still am
i had prewarned him that this might happen but everything would be fine. as we were going over, i told him to slip into the water and tread ( yes-- we both had life jackets) but i panicked (sp?) and tried to hold on with my problematic left arm.
needless to say, i dislocated my shoulder, AGAIN, but managed to pop it back into place while in the water. this is a reoccurring problem but not in the last few years.
by this time, the mast had wedged itself into the mud. luckily, i did not lose the rudder. after much huffing and puffing i was able to right the boat and helped my son back on board.
my problem now was to get myself back on while nursing a painful shoulder. after a few tries, i came to the conclusion that i had to use both arms.
like the idiot i can be at times, i ended up pulling hard with my left arm and dislocated my shoulder again.
after easing the joint back into place, we sailed back to shore where the days events were put on hold due to my throbbing shoulder.

my son, however, thought the whole thing was great !!
Old 10-08-2006
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
I think I posted this before somewhere,

Leaving late in the fall afternoon for Santa Cruz Island, Channel Islands CA, I expected a brisk transit with forecast small craft warnings and wind out of the NW, a favorable direction for a rumbline course to the east end.

Singlehanding my Hardin 45 is second nature, all controls lead to the cockpit, and I had a dependable autopilot.

3 hours into the 18 mile trip, the winds shifted to the W and picked up to 45kts and seas built to 15', now I'm going straight into it. I turned on the motor, rolled the mainsail, brought in the jib, put out the staysail and reefed the mizzen. No choice but to plow to weather or tack and head for Catalina, I chose the former. The winds picked up to 50kts.

3 miles west of the west end of Anacapa 2 miles from my destination, my knot meter read three kts, the plotting GPS showed I was moving backwards towards the Anacapa reef. Time to tack and head downwind. Autopilot off, wheel control on.......no response. Autopilot back on, 110 degrees to port .....no response. No helm control, and the rudder must have turned some, as I was now being blown towards the reef 3 miles away at 7 kts drift.

A call to the CG told me they were 1 hour away. Vessel Assit was 4 hours. I would be on the reef in 1/2 hour. I declined any assistance and set up a radio schedule with the CG.

With the calm that comes with certain disaster, I recalled an article in some sailing magazine where the same thing happened to cruiser, and he had used the mizzen as a steering vane and had steered clear of some obstruction. Kicking out the reef and letting out, the boat did an immediate 160 clear of the island and speed picked up to 12 kts. Balancing the two sails, I was on a compass heading for the harbor 15 miles away where vessel assist met me and towed me to my slip.
Old 10-08-2006

mangomike is on a distinguished road
where to start?

ARHH where to start? At various times amongst sailors, beer, and rum this question often comes up. My reply is you can have your choice of one of these.

1. Getting caught in a tropical/hurricane force wind only 10 miles from our final destination, with no motor, navigational or electrical capabilities.

2. Getting bombed by the CIA/or an unidentified agency.

3. The pirate attack.

4. Crewing from Mexico to Florida for a person I had never met before, but who was highly recommended by his yacht club friends.

The hard part is of course that these are very long and complicated tales, and always seen more interesting if they are enhanced by a 10-year-old Anejo. So, the next time we meet in an Anchorage somewhere ask me the same question. There might even be a new drama to add by them!!!
Old 10-08-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
Ooooh. Tell us more about the prirates!
Old 10-09-2006

winddancer88 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLikeaFish
Ooooh. Tell us more about the prirates!
I think he's holding out for some good tequila. . .