Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006

capnsamuels is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard Certification

I plan on starting sailing lessons next summer.
How many hours of instruction are required
for Coast Guard Certification?
Is it a set number of hours, or, simply a
completed class (like the three-five day)
offered at sailing schools
Will I automatically receive the certification
when the school is over with, or, must I go
to the Coast Guard and test for this Certification'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Cap'n...there is no coast guard certification. Perhaps you are referring to the classroom sailing course run by the CG Auxilliary in many places. This is an excellent course and at the end of it you do get a certificate which is useful if you want to charter a boat. More important...it teaches you the rules of the road and basics of sailing and coastal navigation...but there is no "on water" component. You don't "need" any type of certificate to go sailing.
The coast guard captains course (6-pack) is more geared to those who plan to take on charter customers or drive boats professionally. It is not for beginning sailors.
Old 09-30-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
It's been a number of years since I took the basic and intermediate ASA sailing courses, but they were three days and two days, respectively. They covered all the basics--the terminology, essential knots, rules of the "road," parts of the boat, use of a tiller, how to set and trim/ease sails, man-overboard drills, docking, anchoring. We would start out in the classroom for a hour or two, then take the boat out to apply the lesson.
Old 09-30-2006

capnsamuels is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks guy's
So as I understand it, I go to the school
and then all I have to do is rack up experience
there is no license I am required to have to go
sailing, just a boat and desire to go sailing. CORRECT?
Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
No license is required in the United States at a federal level for recreational boaters....some states are starting to require that you pass a test and get a certification or license for them at a state level...I don't believe RI has done that yet though. You don't even have to go to the school or get ASA/USAA certifications unless you are interested in chartering bareboats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-30-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
SD...what state(s) do you know of that require anything of adults to drive a boat?
Old 09-30-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I believe Alabama has a state licensing requirement now, and think New Jersey has or is getting ready to have one. Can't say for sure, but seems I remember reading this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-30-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam-

Might want to look at this web page. Currently, it says that only Alabama requires a boating license, but there have been articles in several magazines recently, that have mentioned changes that are being implemented in some other states, so I can't say how up-to-date the web site is. This is an area of law that is currently under transition or discussion in many states.

Might also want to check the boating safety blog: http://lawboat.blogspot.com/

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-01-2006

kjsailingSpring is on a distinguished road
NJ requires a boater safety course

Just a little FYI...NJ now requires a coast guard boater safety course.

Here is a link that takes you to each state's boating/maritime law representative's site. From there you should be able to navigate throught their website to find what you need for your state.

http://www.nasbla.org/blas.php
Old 10-01-2006
moderate?

Thanks guys...I didn't realize ther had been so much legislative encroachment...must be those damn powerboaters!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.