Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Handheld VHF radio

Just did a search, no one asks thei question since 2003. I think many things have changed since then.

I need a handheld, what do you recommend? ICON, West Marine, Uniden etc? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends on what you want it for. I use a Standard Horizon VX471, which is a great little multi-band which does AM/FM/WX/VHF/Aircraft/FRS/GPRS bands, and can transmit on VHF/FRS/GPRS bands as well. However, it would suck as a ditch bag radio, since the emergency AA-battery pack only allows it to transmit at 1 W, not the 5 W it is capable of. It is DSC-capable in that it can be tied into a GPS NMEA circuit and broadcast the MMSI and DSC emergency call info by hitting a protected distress call button.

I also have a larger handheld VHF, that has an emergency battery pack that can broadcast at 5W stored in a ditch bag. No really nice features, but runs on AAs a long time, especially since I have the Lithium AAs stored in it. Don't remember who makes it...

One advantage of the SH multiband units is that you can give your crew GPRS or FRS radios and talk to them when they're nearby on shore legally, where doing so via VHF would be illegal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-01-2006

awayocean is on a distinguished road
We have Standard Horizon HX471S Submersible 5 Watt Marine VHF.Best radio for the money.............

http://www.anchorexpress.com/hx470ss.html

Old 10-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's the one I have...but couldn't remember the model number. Nice little unit... one of the smallest and pretty good battery life. The only downside to it is that I can't seem to find any way to tell how much battery life is left on the beast.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-01-2006

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
I guess it really depends on what you are going to do with one. if it is your primary means of communications when on the water then the perhaps one with all the bells and whistles works. However if it is only a backup then why spend all the money.
We use a low cost uniden as a back up only - and after we lost our built in vhf we used it to come back from the bahamas and until we put in a new radio.
or on the other hand -- how much money do you want to spend.
chuck and soulmates
Old 10-02-2006
Telstar 28

The SH HX471S is my day-to-day unit, the one I have stuffed in the ditch bag is a much cheaper unit.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-02-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Two Sunday ago, we went sailing with our 14 ft Capri during the small craft warning. We hit a sudden storm. We realized that all the sail boats disappear just before the storm hit. It was clear that everyone had a VHF radio and went for cover, except us.

Therefore, my primary use for the handheld VHF radio is to receive emergency weather message from the Coast Guard (Baltimore). I am doubtful that I can transmit message to the CG tho’.

It looks like that SH HX471S is a good unit. Today West Marine has their brand VHF 250 on sales for $50 less. I think it has the same functions of SH HX471S, but it sells for $160. Has anyone have any experience with West Marine brand? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2006
Telstar 28

West Marine doesn't actually make anything. IIRC, the WM250 VHF is actually made by Vertex out of Japan, who makes the Standard Horizon gear as well, but under a different label. IIRC, there is a foreign Standard Horizon model that is identical to the WM 250 VHF. YMMV

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-02-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
At 6 watts and 16 hours on one charge, the ICOM M-72 has been great through the past season, our first year with it. I don't have experience with any other brand of handheld, and realize everyone will claim their's is better, but this radio must be hard to beat.

The audio is clearer (-10% distortion), louder than our helm-mount VHF radios (both Standard Horizons), has auto-scan, WX channels and is waterproof. Comes with a charger base, although since it's initial charge after receiving it as a gift back on Father's Day in June, it's still going strong without recharging.

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/marine/m72/
Old 10-02-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I have the West Marine. It works fine (really, it works great for the money). However, it is just for my ditch bag. It is not my primary. My primary is a fixed mount not a handheld. But I did a test and drove a couple of miles away and was still able to receive and transfer back to my boat (even from inside the car!!).

For the money, I would reccomend it.

- CD

PS You would be surprised what the Coast Guard can receive. I bet they could hear you. I believe SD is right, the West brand is actually a Standard Horizon. If I was only going to buy one and really wanted a good one, the best unit I have used is an ICOM like TB's. But they are much more expensive! Just my opinion(s).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.