SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   whisker pole ?????? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/23604-whisker-pole.html)

mangomike 10-01-2006 01:32 PM

whisker pole ??????

Hi … I have several questions regarding the use of my newly purchased Forespar 10/18 line control whisker pole. I am a little confused between the information on the Fore spar site and what I've previously observed being done. The First question pertains to the bridal and topping lift. Here is what Fore spar says
The larger Line Control whisker poles come with a center-pole wire "strap" that can be used to rig a bridle for the topping lift. This bridle can be made of a small diameter scrap piece of line. The bridle is attached to the outboard end and the center pole wire strap. By rigging this bridle, the pole is supported in the middle as well as the outboard end. This is a better topping lift support method in heavy air and sea conditions. The reason Forespar® does ….

If You Are Familiar with This Way of Rigging a Pole What Is Your Opinion? Most of the Poles That I've Seen Rigged had the Bridal Running from end to end. Maybe It Doesn't Make Any Difference?

I realize that this is a very subjective question but in light air and fairly flat water I was expecting to be able to use this whisker poll, to pole out my screacher on the same side as the main would be on to give it more surface exposure and hopefully pick up some speed. The below instructions seem to say not to do that. If this can be done, can it be done at as high as 100°, or higher? If you do run a whisker pole on the same side as your main at what degree beyond a beam reach my you start to use.

Forespar ..The pole should be flown level (Thus the need for mast track and cars!) and at the same relative angle to the wind as the main boom. In other words, the whisker pole should be out, opposite the boom at the same angle. As you pull in the mainsail, you would ease out the whisker pole and visa versa. As the pole comes back, the main goes out. Think of the whisker pole as an extension of your boom forward of the mast……… You should not fly a whisker pole on the same side as the main boom. Doing so may jeopardize the pole as your angle of heal may cause the outboard end of the pole to drag in the water.

The last sentence may not apply to our boat because it is a catamaran. Any other help or any articles or reading material you might suggest is more than welcome . Thanks

Faster 10-01-2006 01:46 PM

To your last point I can't see the use of "poleing" your screacher to leeward - it's a light sail that should set and take the proper shape without the pole, and in fact the pole would likely affect the trim in a bad way.

The use of a bridle is, as you say, common on spinn poles. They are usually end-to-end and avoid the high bending moment that can occur at a single point attachment. With an extendable whisker pole, an end to end bridle will vary in depth depending on the pole length setting. The loaded bridle will also tend to collapse the pole length. Perhaps this is part of the reason for Forespar's comments.

sailingdog 10-01-2006 05:34 PM

The sail that would probably benefit from the pole is a large genoa, like a 150%, in very light winds, which wouldn't be sufficient to hold the sail full.

Rockter 10-01-2006 07:37 PM

I have always poles out the other side.... running wing and wing.

Surely it would be competing with the main for drive if it were poled out the same side as the main?

Mango makes a very good point... if it catches the water there will be whisker pole party.

sailingdog 10-01-2006 08:05 PM

If he's heeling a cat far enough that the whisker pole is in the water and causing problems...he's got other problems to worry about that are far more serious. :D