Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunson2
Ok...so I went...

Instead of curing my desires for having a sailboat (you know how window shopping can sometimes do that), I'm even more "on fire" to have a boat of my own...this is not good methinks...

I went aboard several, OK, many, yachts, and found that I liked Island Packet (the 445 is what I went on) most. I looked at the Tayana that was there and a few others including Alden and Morris. They're all beautiful. Of them all, the Morris boats had the absolutely, hands-down, most gorgeous lines of them all. A sailor's ship. The IP 485 is now my newest dream for a liveaboard.

I did spend quite a bit of time chatting with one of the Johnstones (J/Boats) and really enjoyed those boats - right up my alley for cruising and speed. If the money were mine, I'd nab a 120...

My brother met Mr. Gozzard - the designer of the Bayfields (or at least some of them). He was on a Gozzard - loaned by the new owners to the show. I really enjoy the "old boat" detailing he puts into his designs.

I did purchase the SLAM foul weather gear - good price and well made stuff. I recommend it. Used it yesterday for a bit to take the chill out of the Bay when we went out for a couple of hours.

At any rate, I didn't fall asleep until sometime after 11 and then kept waking up - I wasn't able to settle down after the show.

Anyone got a cure for this, ahem, problem?

The show was a blast - I'm looking forward to next years!

Back to the marine architecture books...

Jon
Ain't it awful? After looking at the IP 370 and Sabre 386 and going really upscale, the Swan, it seems all the boats that I MIGHT be able to actually SOMEDAY, MAYBE afford, looked like junk. My vote for most suprising boat was the C&C 115. I wasn't really expecting such nice accomodations on a performance boat.

Ah well, I did by some stuff to spiff up the boat I've got over the winter so at least it'll be nice a shiny next spring. lol
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
We went yesterday. I hit traffic on I97 south and did not get there until pass noon and stayed there until closing. We did not have enough time to go thru the things I wanted to see.

We went to Valiant, Caliber, Beneteau (10R), J-boat, Tartan, C&C, X yachts etc. Originally I thought Beneteau was a nice boat, after a closer look, I changed my mind. But nevertheless, I still the look of it particular the bow without the overhang. I love the J-boat and Caliber and C&C. I know others like the IP, I did not get on the boat; the beige color is just too much for me.

We promised ourselves not to buy any things, so we didn’t. We did collect a lot good info to study at home.

My wife came along with us and did not make any complains. I guess it is a good sign. but it is too early to tell if she will cross Atlantic with me or not.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-09-2006

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
I vote for the Swan 45, the Hinckley, or the J-42.

I went home Sunday night and bought a lottery ticket.
Old 10-09-2006

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
Also cool as a pure sailing boat was the Cape Cod Shipbuilding 30' Shields. My friend liked the Flying Scot. He bought 2 lottery tickets.
Old 10-10-2006
Hughes 38 Mark II

lgherb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunson2
Ok...so I went...

Instead of curing my desires for having a sailboat (you know how window shopping can sometimes do that), I'm even more "on fire" to have a boat of my own...this is not good methinks...

I went aboard several, OK, many, yachts, and found that I liked Island Packet (the 445 is what I went on) most. I looked at the Tayana that was there and a few others including Alden and Morris. They're all beautiful. Of them all, the Morris boats had the absolutely, hands-down, most gorgeous lines of them all. A sailor's ship. The IP 485 is now my newest dream for a liveaboard.

I did spend quite a bit of time chatting with one of the Johnstones (J/Boats) and really enjoyed those boats - right up my alley for cruising and speed. If the money were mine, I'd nab a 120...

My brother met Mr. Gozzard - the designer of the Bayfields (or at least some of them). He was on a Gozzard - loaned by the new owners to the show. I really enjoy the "old boat" detailing he puts into his designs.

I did purchase the SLAM foul weather gear - good price and well made stuff. I recommend it. Used it yesterday for a bit to take the chill out of the Bay when we went out for a couple of hours.

At any rate, I didn't fall asleep until sometime after 11 and then kept waking up - I wasn't able to settle down after the show.

Anyone got a cure for this, ahem, problem?

The show was a blast - I'm looking forward to next years!

Back to the marine architecture books...

Jon
I agree on the Morris boats. Absolutely stunning. Those Sparkman and Stephens designs are hard to beat.
Old 10-10-2006

jmunson2 is on a distinguished road
the lines are fantastic...however, if you are out for longish-term accomodations, don't look at the boats I saw - far to sailing oriented. excellent for a daysail or possible overnighter, but not much beyond that...
Old 10-12-2006
"Quack, damn you."

pmoyer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pmoyer
Interesting. Considering that I'm a novice, I had my heart set on the Hylas 46. It was ok, but I found out that I felt much, MUCH more comfortable on the 37 and 38 footers. The Sabre 386 was gorgeous, but the 251K is a bare boat - you add sails, electronics, and safety gear and you're easily over 300K.

The most surprising was the Delphia 37. That boat was gorgeous. If I had 150K in my account on Thursday, I'd have had that boat on Friday.

I was disappointed by the fit and finish on both the C&Cs and the Tartans. Sole panels rattled, doors didn't clasp open correctly, etc. Likewise the Bavaria. the most comfortable for me was the 37', but the inside was TERRIBLE. Plastic door panels at the nav station, the doors didn't have latches so they kept slamming closed, and the electric panel was sprung from the mount, so it was hanging off by two screws.

My, those Aldens are nice, too.

I hated the IPs (sorry). Dufours were so-so (I didn't care for the layout).

Another nice one was the Hanse 40. If the 370 is similar, it would be interesting. Awesome Euro-style showers. I didn't care for the lack of nav station, though.

Sorry for rambling. I'll go back to scraping together my 30K for a used boat for next spring....

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited by pmoyer; 10-12-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
This is great. As I'm out on the left coast, I get to read all your reviews before the show arrives here in April '07.
Old 10-16-2006

jmunson2 is on a distinguished road
Any of us go to the powerboat show this past weekend? We did and enjoyed ourselves. Although I'd rather a sailing craft, some bits about powerboats are enjoyable too!

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II
Old 10-16-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Prior to going to the show we had settled on the IP485 as our next boat. We found out, during the show, that Passport, Cabo Rico and Tayana cost the same and are semi-custom, meaning you can design your own cabin layout. In addition, they also feature better equipment and rigging than the IP. I was shocked! The IP485 is a nice boat, but I couldn't get past the non-centerline queen in the aft cabin. I can't see rolling around in that. I think we'll be purchasing a Passport 515CC next year.