Yamaha 15hp vs. 20hp - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-01-2016 Thread Starter

Yamaha 15hp vs. 20hp

If you choose the portable 15hp and 20hp next to each other on Yamaha's website (scroll down to see comparisons), they appear to be the exact same motor, other than the horsepower. Same displacement, size, weight, etc. Anyone know what that's all about?

Comparisons | Yamaha Outboards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-01-2016

Re: Yamaha 15hp vs. 20hp

Very typical with a number of OB mfgs to have 2-3 different HP motors that appear to be the same motor. From what I understand, it's usually a difference in carboration that makes up the difference in HP rating.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If you choose the portable 15hp and 20hp ----
Portable?
Anyway, probably different carburetors.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #4 of 12 Old 01-02-2016
Owner 4knot sb.

Yeah this is pretty common...
Merc 2.5 and 3.5
Merc 4, 5, and 6
Merc 8 and 9.9
etc.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-02-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Portable?
Anyway, probably different carburetors.
Yea, portable, funny at over 100lbs. Their term.

There is roughly a $400 price difference between the 15hp and 20hp. No way the carb actually costs more, so the profit margin on the 20, must just be that much higher.

Makes one wonder if the 15hp carb can be modified into the 20hp carb, not that I think I'll go through the trouble.

This curiosity started, as I was contemplating putting a 15hp on the new dink, to save weight and cost. With no real savings in either, it would seem silly not to have the extra hp from the same motor, when you may wish you had it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-02-2016

This is always worth checking when you buy a dingy motor. Yamaha I think the 4 and 6 HP are the same weight, as is the 8 and 9.9 HP. I ended up with a 6, same reasoning.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-02-2016

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Makes one wonder if the 15hp carb can be modified into the 20hp carb, not that I think I'll go through the trouble.

Yes it can. Voids warranty, of course, so its silly to do it to a new motor.

I was going to do it to my Merc 9.9 to make it a 15. Guess how much the new carb costs?

Go on, guess!

It is... (are you sure you have guessed yet?)

$400.

Sux, donnit?
Minnewaska likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-02-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
......Sux, donnit?
I guessed $500, so there would be the illusion of value.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #9 of 12 Old 01-02-2016
HANUMAN

This is one of those lessons learned after I purchased a like new 6HP electric start merc. (from my 90+ yr old grandfather who put it on his credit card thinking he was gonna start clamming again but told not to pull start a motor because of his new pacemaker). I could not believe how heavy it was compared to my 4HP so I started doing the research.

I took it back to the Merc dealer and traded it in for a 5HP that was MUCH lighter.

So, IMHO, always buy the highest horsepower rating in the weight category.

I also always wondered about carb, and if you even need a bigger carb, or just new jets or other bits?

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #10 of 12 Old 01-02-2016
Fortuitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
This is one of those lessons learned after I purchased a like new 6HP electric start merc. (from my 90+ yr old grandfather who put it on his credit card thinking he was gonna start clamming again but told not to pull start a motor because of his new pacemaker). I could not believe how heavy it was compared to my 4HP so I started doing the research.

I took it back to the Merc dealer and traded it in for a 5HP that was MUCH lighter.

So, IMHO, always buy the highest horsepower rating in the weight category.

I also always wondered about carb, and if you even need a bigger carb, or just new jets or other bits?
You sure it wasn't an 8? The Merc 4, 5, and 6 are all the same weight (except for the slight difference that come with different shaft lengths.)

Mercuries, Nissans, and recent Evenrudes in that size range are all made by Tohatsu, and the 4/5/6 in all of those brands is the same block. The 8/9.9 is the next block up, and the 15/20 after that. As others have said, they just dial back the power for the the lower HP ratings for each block with rev limiting and/or carb changes.

Yamaha does something similar. It's pretty common. It would likely be too expensive to engineer, produce, and carry parts for unique engines for such small changes in HP (in the grand scheme of outboards).

My Boat Log, or "blog" if you will:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.