Sailing Harness on the cheep! - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

Sailing Harness on the cheep!

So I am Looking around the inter tubes for Safety Gear and I am noticing a trend.

It is very expensive.

Some of it makes sense E-pirbs and such , But some of it seems like price gouging.

For example Tether lines for Harness.
WEST MARINE Standard Safety Tether | West Marine

100 bucks? for 2 yardsor 6 feet of 1 nylon webbing.
Breaking Strength: 4,500 lbs.

I could buy a 50 yard roll of the same strength for 50 bucks and Lash my self to the mast!

Here is My idea.

Buy 10 feet of dyneama

1/4" AmSteel-Blue AS-78, 8,600lb. Breaking Strength, Gray
8 foot @ 2 dollars a foot and stronger then the webbing

Buy 2
Spyder Lion Steel Double Locking Snap Arborist Lineman Pole Climbers 85329 | eBay

And put it together my self.

$16 for the rope
$30 for the hooks.

lets say 50 bucks ish with taxes and shipping.

Hell even if I buy the sail right webbing kit it would be cheaper.

Does any one have a comment a bout this idea?

Just wondering.
Brent Swain likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-03-2016

Re: Sailing Harness on the cheep!

A couple of issues.

Dyneema does not stretch while the nylon does.
Lots of discussion recently about the tether/jackline system having some degree of stretch so you don't damage you body when you come to an abrupt stop at the end of the tether.

The Spyder Lion Steel Double Locking Snaphook looks like it may become a a rusting piece of junk after a short time in normal ocean conditions. At least it probably would in my use of it.

But would like to hear on how it works for you if decide to go forward with your selection.

Best

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37

Last edited by MarcHall; 01-03-2016 at 01:07 AM.
post #3 of 40 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

Aluminum Alloy Snap Locking Double Action,6000 lbs,

Tree Climber Forged Aluminum Alloy Snap Locking Double Action 6000 LBS Made USA | eBay

Would Aluminum Be better?

post #4 of 40 Old 01-03-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLPHIAIR View Post
And put it together my self.
this is where it usually pays to buy reliable safety gear....

the correct thread, the correct machine, the knowledge of how to put it together as an integral part of your kit, and the testing of said unit when complete....all of this drives me to NOT skimp on something that my life may depend on...

much like when I owned a dragstrip and the racers all complained about having to wear a helmet...my comment, "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet - me? I am buying the best helmet I can, and go enjoy racing.

YMMV...
post #5 of 40 Old 01-03-2016

The thread title made me think......... Parachute on the cheap. They're pretty expensive too, but would you make your own?

No doubt, sailing stuff is more expensive than it seems it should be. I'm not sure if they're gouging or if the market just isn't big enough to recapture fixed costs as effectively as other things we buy.

Anyway, to your suggestion. It's a little hard to tell, if you're referring to the harness, tether or jackline. There is a school of thought that says a jackline should be flat webbing, so you're less likely to roll on it, when you step. As another mentioned, tethers not only require proper stitching, but are best if they have a series of stress stitches that let go before the main stitching. This way, you know the tether has been over stressed and should be replaced. That would be hard to engineer yourself. Then there is the classic debate over whether your tether should have a quick release or whether you'll carry an S-cutter close to your chest to cut yourself free, if you're being dragged in the water and drowning.

I would just buy the good stuff and save money elsewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 40 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

Parachute on the cheap.

Cheap is not a synonym with poor quality. Hand made stuff usually far out lasts there mass produced counter parts. Because of one Key factor. Care!

West Marine Tether Recall
PS Readerís Letter Sparks West Marine Tether Recall - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article
Brent Swain likes this.
post #7 of 40 Old 01-03-2016

Quote:
...Cheap is not a synonym with poor quality. Hand made stuff usually far out lasts there mass produced counter parts.....
It certain can. However, some things require a bit of engineering to know you made them properly, regardless of the amount of care. If one has those skills, more power to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 40 Old 01-03-2016

Quote:
...And put it together my self.

$16 for the rope
$30 for the hooks.

lets say 50 bucks ish with taxes and shipping.

Hell even if I buy the sail right webbing kit it would be cheaper.

Does any one have a comment a bout this idea?

Just wondering.
I don't know, but for $7.26 more you can buy a ISAF certified version from Jamestown:

Kong ISAF Safety Harness

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35
post #9 of 40 Old 01-03-2016

Go ahead and do it. I used to do a lot of rock climbing and so am very comfortable with rope work. In principle the harness and tether are very simple. I made my own seat and chest harness and hang from it when doing mast work. I too am reluctant to spend the money on a tether when 6' of flat webbing and a couple of locking caribiners will probably do. But the commercial products have some features I like and cannot duplicate so I will probably buy one in the long run.
post #10 of 40 Old 01-03-2016

Dock

After a marine harness wound up above when my shoulders when climbing a mast I switched to climbing gear.
Mountain Equipment Coop provides good technical advice and products in Canada. Sales people are climbers that use the products.
Normally the products are much cheeper than marine store items but in my option better and I understand their limitations.
Brent Swain likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.