Bareboat Charter this winter - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Bareboat Charter this winter

My wife and I and another couple are thinking of charting a boat this winter, probably March, early April.

What would you recommend? I would like to try a cat if possible but they seem so expensive.

We have charted in Pensacola, the BVI and Annapolis so far and are looking for someplace new.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Re: Bareboat Charter this winter

I had a great experience, last winter, with CYOA out of St. Thomas. We cruised BVI and St. John. Compared to BVI, St John is much quieter and more beautiful. It's a bit of a passage, but crossing over to the Spanish Virgin Islands is also an option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
davidpm (4 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Grenadines...St Lucia to Grenada 1 way. Monohull, IMHO more comfortable for the inter island passages, also multi's more cost effective if only 4 sailors. We've done it so many times I've lost count. More interesting carbbean experience with different countries, etc., and a bit more open ocean day passages which you might enjoy. Capta is an expert on the area with great advise.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
davidpm (4 Weeks Ago)
post #4 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Grenadines +1

St Lucia to Granada is great if you have 10 days plus.

Otherwise Charter out of Blue lagoon St Vincent or Union island. You will be in the heart of the Grenadines and will have shorter sails.

BTW I will be in Bequia for Easter Regatta, If you see a New Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44 drop buy and say hi. Dizzy like visitors.
Attached Thumbnails
01-DADDY COME LOOK BREAKFAST 007.JPG  
capecodda likes this.

Last edited by TQA; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TQA For This Useful Post:
davidpm (4 Weeks Ago)
post #5 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lake Sailor

There is always the Mediterranean as an option....
http://www.fastsailing.gr/

That Pogo rocks....

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I did a three-week charter in the Windward Islands: Grenada to St. Lucia round trip. On the return leg, we hit our favorite spots that we 'discovered' on the way up. We had a sporty overnight sail across the open water south of St. Lucia. On the way back down, we surfed those waves in that big sailboat. One of my favorite days ever. Everything you've read about that area is true, except the reality is better.

I chartered a catamaran in Guadeloupe and round tripped to Dominica. That trip featured the best food I've ever eaten and the best guided SCUBA dive I've done (small sample, though; I usually dive without a guide.) Don't miss Terre-de-Haut on Les Saints. We loved the catamaran.

I enjoyed St. Martin as well. Second-best food and great people. I prefer the French-influenced islands over the British-influenced islands, and the difference between St.Martin/St.Barts vs. Anguilla is striking. St. Martin is more developed than I prefer, but I think the benefits are worth it. That trip was the best sailing I've done, thanks to a very good Wasquiez boat that we lucked into.

The Bahamas are great if you want to get away from civilization and feel like you are perched at the edge of the world, but I've never charted there, so I don't know how the charter company restrictions might impact your ability to get that far away.

Bottom line: It's all good. Go with an open mind, an loose itinerary, and no expectations; you'll discover lots to like.
The Following User Says Thank You to jwing For This Useful Post:
davidpm (4 Weeks Ago)
post #7 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Anarchist in Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
There is always the Mediterranean as an option....
http://www.fastsailing.gr/

That Pogo rocks....
I can confirm that is is a life-altering experience.

Sailing under spinnaker into the caldera of Santorini is something you never forget. For people in Oia as well; when we told bartenders that was us on the Pogo the day before it was free drinks.

April is a very good time to go if you are OK with un-swimmable water. The air temp and wind are great, but the sea is coming off winter. And it is off season. Some people love crowds, but in Greece you get to take in the local flavor almost as a local, as often you will be the only visiting yacht in the harbor.

And Greece takes more to get to for the average bear. Factor in more travel time.

But its bucket list stuff.

Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse.
post #8 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I would also recommend the Windwards and especially the Grenadines for your trip at that time of year. However, generally speaking the winds are NE at that time of year, which makes sailing south quite easy and pleasant, but going north much less so. I think this is why many recommend the one way trip from St. Lucia to Grenada.
The channel between St Lucia and St Vincent can be a real adventure, but from St. Vincent south, you have islands to your east which makes the sailing easier.
If you enjoy sailing, I'd get a monohull as you could be close on the wind every trip. You'll get there on a cat OK, but most run the leeward engine to keep the leeway down to a minimum.
Pick up Doyle's guides to both the Windwards and Leewards (older/cheaper, for basic trip planning at home) as all the information you could ever want about everything on each island, is there, unless you want to do the windward anchorages.
North of St. Lucia the islands are a bit farther apart but there is more to do and see ashore. English Harbor (Nelson's Dockyard) is a don't miss as is Deshayes, Guadeloupe and the Saints, and dozens of other places, but they'll always be there for another trip.
Basically, if you want to go on a sailing vacation, I'd go south from St. Lucia or north from Grenada into the Grenadines. If you want to visit the islands and do a lot of exploring and activities ashore I'd go north from St.Lucia or south from Antigua. Quite honestly, one could spend a week just sailing to the different anchorages and exploring ashore, in Antigua alone!
If I can be more specific, PM me, but give me time to reply as our busy season is underway.
Hope we see you.
capecodda likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

post #9 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I only made it to Les Saints once and have been wanting to get back there ever since. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I am off to Bahamas at the end of February with some folks from my squash club for a week on a 46 foot cat. The Canada / US exchange rate is brutal but partially offset by a 15% discount.

Bahamas is really easy sailing. At least it was in 1992, the last time I was there.

The is my first pleasure sail in almost 9 years. No delivery, certifying no one; just having a good time with friends.
Faster likes this.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.