SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

"Picture of the week" submission thread

18K views 82 replies 39 participants last post by  bblument 
#1 · (Edited)
You may have noticed that the home page now features a 'picture of the week'. I/we will endeavour to update this every Sunday, the chosen picture will run for the week. I'll be culling shots from the site when I see them, but thought I'd start this thread as a way to get new shots on a regular basis that are easy to find.

Selection will be totally arbitrary, whatever appeals most at the moment so don't get all out of shape if your picture isn't 'chosen'. Will try to spread the love around somewhat.

Pictures should be sharp, please use Photobucket or some such rather than the thumbnail feature so they all are judged on the same basis. PB does a nice job of pre-sizing the images for the forum.

Have at it! Remember we're looking for pictures that would be appropriate for a sailing magazine cover shot, that sort of thing.

#6 ·
re: "Picture of the week" submission thread

Newt... if you're using Photobucket or similar, copy and paste the IMG code link option and simply paste it into the body of your text.

#8 ·

How about this one?
Barry.. nice shot, please note from post #1:

Pictures should be sharp, please use Photobucket or some such rather than the thumbnail feature so they all are judged on the same basis. PB does a nice job of pre-sizing the images for the forum.
Can you try that route? Also we're finding that not all photo hosting site links work the same, or at all. We know Photobucket works so prefer you use that site.

The original form of this week's picture crashed the link for the front page.

#16 ·

After a race. We are the 235, sail number 421 along side 2 Sonars.
cb.. we had an issue earlier this week with a photo link that did not fit the format
I don't think the length of the file name matters but there can't be characters after the jpg designation or the program ignores the post. (so I'm told) Click edit on your post above and you'll see what I mean. Can you rename it?

As far as limiting numbers, I hear you. I guess it's up to us as we select pics to try to keep it 'fair'. As I mentioned earlier, if there are plenty maybe we switch it up each day (when we find time and/or remember :rolleyes:)

#12 ·

Thanks guys.. keep 'em coming. If we get enough submissions perhaps we'll change the picture up more often.

A request: Please pre-edit your pictures for things like crooked horizons. Most photo viewing programs allow you to tilt/straighten things out (In Iphoto it's under 'crop') Thx.

#13 ·

So not to spam this thread but, I do have a few others I would like to throw up for consideration. Do we want to put a limit on the number of pics people can submit to keep the administration of this easier and also so no one member dominates?

#18 ·
I've nearly used up the submissions here, if more don't come I'll be forced to post my own !! :p ;)

#23 ·
Quicksand Cove, Aialik Bay, Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska

SV Ragtime and SV Cirrus. Great little cove here, nice sandy beach with slough behind the berm. Salmon run in the stream so there are always bears here. One special morning we had a black bear on the beach next to the boat while on the other side a Humpback was feeding within a few hundred feet of us.

#24 ·
Gorgeous shots, Dale, as always.. thanks!

#29 ·
Thanks all..

Senor m.... I need a postable link, the thumbnail upload doesn't work well for this feature. Photobucket and similar sites work well.

#33 ·
Grossifs... if you join a hosting site like Photobucket.com it works better. You upload your image to your account there, and then paste the IMG code link option into your post. I can then copy and paste that same link onto the front page area.

PB is free up to 2g.

You may not have enough posts here yet to post any links..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.