Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006

MaineCub is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MaineCub Send a message via MSN to MaineCub Send a message via Yahoo to MaineCub Send a message via Skype™ to MaineCub
The more I talk to people.........

... the more I like my cat! And Im NOT even a cat person!

I just had a really bad experience last week whereas I walked into our work area at work and saw my manager mocking some work I did infront of other employees!

What was the catalyst for you to finally say, "enough is enough! Im checking out of this world and sailing off!"

I just don't fit in here.. as a matter of fact most places I am. Im not sure sailing would be any different.. but atleast I can change my environment fairly easy!

Im awfully close to checking out of the 'american way', unfortunately a 2/3'rds remodeled home and an ending relationship are keeping me landlubbed for the time being.

Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I've been kinda down and the idea of sailing away has been the only thing that is keeping my head up.

Best to you all,

--Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2006
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
You need to get out of a structure for a while and live free. Below is a quote from a book that you might enjoy. But blue water sailing is serious business and takes careful planning and preparation. You need to know what you are doing out there. This chat room has a lot of dreamers that talk a good game but will never leave the dock.

It is A Quote From Sterling Hayden's Book, Wanderer

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... cruising it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Enjoy the wind and the freedom of choice to sail wherever, whenever one chooses to. Please give us the opportunity might help to get out of a structure and live free. Read "Wanderer'
Old 10-12-2006
Old Salt

Hampstead is on a distinguished road
Talking

You can run but you can't hide...from yourself that is, no matter where you go, you are there.........
Old 10-12-2006
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
It would really suck to look back on your life and say "What if........."

Jerry
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Old 10-12-2006

Sonofasonofasailor is on a distinguished road
Nice TB! As I was reading this thread I was thinking to myself, "some idiot posted and enormous image that is making the thread too wide to read without scrolling sideways. Then I scrolled down and saw the image...it was worth the minor inconvenience!

Nice quote longwaterline, I've read that before and it is moving. I find Hampsteads post to be more on target as that is what needs to be reconciled first regardless of the path you set out on.

Chin up Mainecub, its the down times that make the up times so good. You will persevere and be better for it, or you will feel sorry for yourself and perpetuate your down times into a lifetime. Don't waste your time trying to fit in - you are who you are - instead find what or where it is that fits you!!!!

Life is a journey, not a destination....and all those other corny sayings that are meant to be inspirational.

Last edited by Sonofasonofasailor; 10-16-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2006

Parley is on a distinguished road
longwaterline, love that quote. States my sentiments better than I could do myself.

tb, Holy Cow Batman! What is that shot of? I can see clearly she's an offshore racer, but what a shot! Beam to in breaking seas. I wonder how that turned out. OH, I get it. Photo shop. Duh.

Maincub, All I can advise is keep your eye on the ball. Know where you are going. Make a plan and work it. Cliche? Maybe, but it works.
Old 10-12-2006

Quetzalcoatl is on a distinguished road
MaineCub....

Dave,
Take heart, friend! Sometimes the world seems dark and unfriendly, but then there'll be a break in the clouds. I've had my share of life's disappointments, too. Sailing is the sunny spot in my life. I have found the nicest people in and around sailboats.
Are you from Maine? Much of my family is from there (Mt Desert Island), although I now live far away. I have many lovely childhood memories from the Maine coast.
You said you wanted to sail away....it's true that you may find that the troubles follow you where you go. Best to try to get you "inner house in order" before setting sail on a long-distance trip. You didn't say if you had a boat or experience sailing...anyway, fair weather and the best of luck to you!
Q
Old 10-12-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One simple thing to always remember is to be moving towards something, not away from something. Set your sights on something positive, and go for it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 10-12-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Happiness?

If you've given any serious thought to going to sea, and it doesn't sound like much is holding you in place, then go. Sterling Hayden's advise is dead on.
But, if you're frustrated and unhappy, you'll just be a frustrated and unhappy sailor, albeit in a different location.
For me, I've found that I am the only person that can make myself happy. My wife can't do it and she's a wonderful person and wife. I have to quit letting people and events rent space in my head. If it's something I can change, I change it. If it's something I can't change I accept it as part of life. Sounds trite, but I've got to get it out of my head or I'll be miserable. (Worry works!-98% of what I worry about never happens.) For me, sailing and working on my boat provide a diversion, but the best one I've found is helping other people. Somehow, when I'm helping somebody else out, my troubles seem to fade away. Just a thought.
And if you really want to go to sea get it on NOW. There's a whole world out there just waiting for Dave. That gets me thinking about that red-headed nurse in Piraeus! Oh boy, "let me go down to the sea again"