Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Good sailing this weekend :)

It looks like a perfect weekend for good sailing fun. NOAA just posted small craft advisory for today and tomorrow for the upper Chesapeake Bay. . In other words, we are going be out there with our tiny boat If you are going be out there, look for us with a sail # 2475.

It will be sunny with a high of 62 degree. It will not too cold unless we capsize.

Have fun with you boat before the snow comes. Hey, where is my snow board?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Try the left coast

Hey Dawg

We're still sailing in shirtsleevesand shorts here on the West Coast. This past weekend, our thanksgiving, found us sailing in 15-18 knots, spinnaker up doing 7s and odd 8s in 20 degC weather and brilliant sunshine.

Sorry, couldn't help but gloat a bit - other years we are soggy and wrinkled by October.

Glad to see you haven't but your boat away for the season yet! Enjoy your weekend.
Old 10-13-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Weather forecast for Sydney today is 38c (100f) with 20 - 30 knot noreasterly. Cool change this evening for a pleasant night on the hook.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-13-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
It should be honking and perfect for getting the rail wet down here in Annapolis. I wish I was in Sydney!
Old 10-13-2006

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
I wish I was sailing,but topside maintenence dictates I prepare for painting the deck & cabin top, not something you do during the Texas summer, but I've got 5 months of 50-80 degree days nice winter breezes as soon as the paint drys, I hope this isn't gloating too mutch. Fair winds, Art
Old 10-13-2006

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Best time of year in the Chesapeake

It was great sailing last Saturday as well on the Chesapeake....went from Galesville to Annapolis upwind in 25-30 in my old Chris Craft Apache 37 sloop with a small blade and double reef in the main. The boat (and crew) loved it.

Moe Giguere
Crishelle
Old 10-13-2006
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgiguere
Best time of year in the Chesapeake
Moe Giguere
Crishelle
Hehe... let's hope so. Just found out that my son is not able to go with me. so I will be solo tomorrow. It is going to be handful with 15 to 20 knots, I need to be extra careful

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 10-13-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2006

jmunson2 is on a distinguished road
We took my brother's boat out on Saturday. We had originally planned on sailing out around 7:30 AM, however, my brother overslept and was two hours late. I used that time to install a new Perko switch (and it did take me two hours, give or take 15 minutes to tend to children's needs). That made a significant difference in available battery voltage as well as cleaner operation. Anyway, we left dock around 10 and headed out into fair winds and water (winds around 5-7 knots at that time). Mike gave me the helm and general "skippership" of the craft. We sailed around for a while, describing a diamond shape, by heading north first to the upper firing range buoy marker. On the second leg we performed a MOB manouver. The third leg was a challenge as the breeze had picked up a bit - probably around 12-15 knots at that point. We were heading back in generally, although at that point we were really south of Breezy Point Marina & and the channel marker. As we tacked our way back up to the buoy, the breeze picked even more, generally around 15 knots or more with up to 20 knot or more gusts. Waves 'round 2 feet, but not bad. Heeled the boat in the gusts quite nicely - sometimes o'er 30 degrees (loads of fun!). That also made for some havoc in the cabin . We were close-hauled and well into the wind on some of the tacks - I'd say about 15-20 degrees off the wind, which is about as tight as one could be without luffing. The switching breeze did make for interesting recoveries. The last leg to the buoy to round up and head down the channel saw a nice SW breeze that almost gave me enough power to sail into the marina, but a few boat lengths into the channel it switched again and I wasn't able to hold course without motoring up.

Some things I noted about our trip: the boat has a serious case of weather helm - one good puff and she turns right up into it and sometimes getting her back into line took a hard-over helm to get some response; she also has a fine sailing line, get off it and recovery is right difficult at times; the angle the sheets make to the winches sucks beans - have to find a way to raise the sheets to make a fairer entry to the winch as they slide off the bottom and get tangled; the snatch blocks suck - they groan under strain and it ain't pretty; going to get cam cleats to hold the sheets after being winched (our current cleats are not quite right for the sheet size); looking into self-tailing winches; looking into a vang; looking into a flush for'ard hatch as the sheets sometimes get caught on the hinges of the current hatch arrangement; have to get better at reverse motoring - she doesn't like that direction one bit.

At the end of it all, my brother has now allowed me full use of the boat whether he's there or not...yay!

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II

Last edited by jmunson2; 10-16-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-16-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
When we first bought our old dear she also had atrocious weatherhelm. For awhile I was even concerned that we might have to move the mast. Couple of things regarding that. First I found that if I let her have her head rather than fight her as she rounded up we were able to gain quite a lot of ground to windward. However the solution was a combination of increased tension on the back stay, increased main halyard tension and easing or reefing the main when it really blows. The increased halyard tension moves the draught of the sail forward which results in a flatter sail which is what you want as the wind picks up. A full main with draught well aft is simply pushing the stern to leeward with the boat pivotting around the keel. The worst part about trying to fight weather helm is that you end up creating untold turbulance around yourr rudder which really does slow you down. We now have very neutral steering in ghosting conditions building to controllable weatherhelm over twenty odd knots which is about first reef time anyway. There is now just enough w.helm to give us a few degrees of lift to windward in a blow. Very satisfactory result.
cheers
tdw

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-17-2006

jmunson2 is on a distinguished road
I have some follow-on questions...

Assuming the sail is fully raised, how does one increase halyard tension at that point? Stretching the line won't move the cars any further, so I'm not clear on how that helps. Installing a vang to keep boom lift down, now that I understand...

Wouldn't furling a bit of the genny accomplish the same goal (reduction of sail area changing the aerodynamic center of lift)?

One problem we do have is the anemometer is not working. It is stuck and only spins in heavy air and won't report wind speed. I personally think it is toasted and needs to be replaced - we'll examine this at the end of the season once the boat's out for repairs/upgrades since we need to drop the mast to do it. I may actually re-do the wiring as the re-splice I had to make was a bit tight and I don't like the fact there's no plug as there is with the other mast cables. Anyway, what this means is we have no idea of the actual wind speed (we don't have a hand anemometer yet). We just know it's blowing light, medium, hard, and gusting us over...

Sincerely,

/s/ Jon C. Munson II