Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
I'm going to pipe in here, as I'm buying a Sundance 23 (1979). I have very little information on her. She's currently trailered close to my house and I'm going to launch her May 2010. She has new sails, rigging, a rebuilt 9.5 hp transom- mounted Evinrude. All in all, pretty darned good shape. Any information I can get would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2010

dwlunn is on a distinguished road
sundance 20

Well interesting that suddenly there seems to be more information on the internet regarding Sundance sailboats. We bought ours in the early 90s but could find very little information about her background over the years. Looks like there are more still out there than maybe first thought. We had an absolute ball with our Sundance 20 over the years with a growing family sailing on smaller lakes in Ontario. I love this little sailboat and even though we now mostly boat on the great lakes I will not part with her ... too many great memories and too much fun! Attached is a pic from several years back.... she is still in great shape but needs a good polish and bottom paint.

Hopefully more Sundance owners out there will see these posts and acknowledge. I am not sure how many made but our serial number is ELM000510576, which I believe means hull # 51 made in May 1976. I am sure there are more out there. Great little daysailing boat!
Attached Thumbnails
sundance weekender 20-sundance-20.jpg  
Old 02-19-2010
Sundance 23

Darned cute little boat.

Ya, I need to polish mine up a bit before she hits the water. Fresh bottom paint on her though, so don't have to worry about that part.
Old 02-21-2010

yadusky is on a distinguished road
Dwlunn

DWLUNN, thanks for that picture - it looks to be the same style as mine, yellow and all, (although my mast may be a bit beefier).
Though the temperature is hardly above freezing, I've already been solicited by several "friends" to take them out.
It means something that is has that kind of magnetism 35 years later!
Old 02-22-2010
Sundance 23

You'll just love the Baby Blue on the Sundance 23 (not sure if I do).

Looking for some rugged rubberized mat-type flooring material for the interior here.

Last edited by carl762; 02-22-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2010

dwlunn is on a distinguished road
sundance

Looks like the 23 has much more room inside than the 20. That gives you alot more options for overnights. We only really used our cabin for storage (on the20) even though you could possibly fit couple of people in there - but pretty snug. However the cockpit is large which gives plenty of room for daysailing with small crew. It is definitely a quick hull - when you brought it way over the boat tracked really well and we actually won several club races before we really knew much about sailing...our little boat did all the work. And if we ran a good straight tailwind we would hoist the genny and 3/4 crank up the swing keel and the boat would just fly - we just had to watch out for any sudden wind change to tip us with less ballast. It was like our secret weapon in a race....lots of fun for sure!
Old 02-24-2010
Sundance 23

Quote:
Looks like the 23 has much more room inside than the 20.
Yes, but you sure make up for it with your cockpit. Very nice. My cockpit would be comfortable for 2 folks. And, 3 feet isn’t that much more room. Please post a picture of your boat’s interior, when and if you get a chance.

Quote:
That gives you alot more options for overnights. We only really used our cabin for storage (on the20) even though you could possibly fit couple of people in there - but pretty snug. However the cockpit is large which gives plenty of room for daysailing with small crew.
My main area of interest - cruising every weekend. There’s lots of storage on this well-made boat for gear. The berth is very cozy; have to sleep in fetal position, so I plan on sleeping aft on port or starboard cushions (accomplished once before while trailered). I’m going to keep it in the water year round. I’m hoping to get a marina close enough to home, where I can sail after work.

Quote:
It is definitely a quick hull - when you brought it way over the boat tracked really well and we actually won several club races before we really knew much about sailing...our little boat did all the work. And if we ran a good straight tailwind we would hoist the genny and 3/4 crank up the swing keel and the boat would just fly - we just had to watch out for any sudden wind change to tip us with less ballast. It was like our secret weapon in a race....lots of fun ...
Now, that’s exciting to hear. I might race some day, after much learning. Lots of exploring to do this summer.

So, now, if my count is correct, there are four actual Sundance boat owners I/we know about. Started out with just Roger. Please keep in touch folks. I’m gathering data on my boat as fast as I can. I’d appreciate to hear about your boats as well. Roger, I owe you an email in response to yours.

yadusky, glad you piped in. These Sundance boats, although relatively unknown, are nicely done boats.

My Hull # is GFL23026M79H. GFL, no idea, 23 for length, 26 ft mast, Year 1979. H ? Just a guesstimate as to what the number really means.

Last edited by carl762; 02-24-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2010

sundancer1 is on a distinguished road
i also have the 20 sundance sailboat pls help

i know little about my sailboat can u help me u r the only person i can find that owns the same 20' sundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlunn View Post
Well interesting that suddenly there seems to be more information on the internet regarding Sundance sailboats. We bought ours in the early 90s but could find very little information about her background over the years. Looks like there are more still out there than maybe first thought. We had an absolute ball with our Sundance 20 over the years with a growing family sailing on smaller lakes in Ontario. I love this little sailboat and even though we now mostly boat on the great lakes I will not part with her ... too many great memories and too much fun! Attached is a pic from several years back.... she is still in great shape but needs a good polish and bottom paint.

Hopefully more Sundance owners out there will see these posts and acknowledge. I am not sure how many made but our serial number is ELM000510576, which I believe means hull # 51 made in May 1976. I am sure there are more out there. Great little daysailing boat!
Old 06-07-2010

sundancer1 is on a distinguished road
hello i have same 20' sundance but know little about it can u help

pls help me with info on my sailboat 1976 sundance thnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlunn View Post

Old 06-07-2010
Sundance 23

Wow another Sundance surfaces. If Roger doesn't key in, I'll email him for you.
Looks like I have the biggest boat. El Mar Boat Company was allegedly the manufacturer, but my hull number contradicts this. It's clearly marked Sundance 23 on the side. My hull number indicates Great Lakes Boat Company, but they responded that they knew nothing about these sailboats. Mystery or not, I sure love my little boat. Very well built. Spent first night on her last Saturday, after putting around exploring a bit.

Wish I had more information for you. With my luck, the crane's weight scale was broken, so I couldn't log in a weight. Now that it's in the water, I'll have to lower the centerboard, and dive down with a tape measure to get an idea how far down it goes. Frustrating to not have any specs.

Last edited by carl762; 06-07-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.