Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006

RogerConrad is on a distinguished road
sundance weekender 20

In August, I picked up hull number 39 of the Sundance made by Elmar boat co of Michigan in 1974. I am attaching a link to my website, but I would like to hear from ANYONE who knows somebody or has seen or owns this model of boat. I understand from limited findings on the net that this boat was only in production for about 2 years. I also understand that it has the following specs, but would like those that are marked with a "?" confirmed.
LOA 20
LWL 16
Beam 6' 10"
Disp 1300# ?
Draft 16" to 4'?
Keel weight 275# ?
Designer unknown? http://groups.msn.com/RogerConrad/sundaance20.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=219

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2008

yadusky is on a distinguished road
Sundance 20 new purchase.

As of today, I am purchasing hull number 2 of the sundance 20's. it's a 1972/73 and in immaculate condition. it's got about half the cabin that yours has - I'll ask the previous owner if he's interested in talking to you about what he knows abou the boat.

I hear it's wicked fast, do ya like it?
Old 07-11-2008

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
sundance 20

Those look like fast little suckers....just bought a 1983 Hunter 20 so had to comment....mine is slow but roomy enough for me and my two young boys.I wanted a project and I picked it up in decent shape for 200.00....wish my Hunter had the kind of speed you should get from that hull-shape...the Hunter 20 weighs 1700 lbs....400 lb in the keel. I hope you let us know how she sails and anything else about her production.
Old 07-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Guys-

Considering that was roger's last post on Sailnet and almost two years old...it is pretty unlikely that he is going to reply any time soon. Welcome to sailnet. I'd highly recommend both of you read the post in my signature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-14-2008

Roger is replying

Although a bit slow in replying, I am glad to see at least one other owner, hull number 2 (yadusky). I will try to contact you, but please feel free to contact me at roger02 att mts dott net.
Old 08-14-2008

second post to up my count

I can only e-mail after I have posted 10 times so this is my tenth time. Bear with me moderator, I am trying to contact another Sundance 20 owner.
Old 11-02-2008

update on the sundance 20 weekender

Other than yadusky and another boat I saw boat I saw on the net around the time I was buying mine, I have heard of not others.

In the meantime, I have published an the equivalent of an APB in not only on a variety of forums but in Good Old Boat magazine this past month. I have had no replies, which likely means I have a very rare boat.

At any rate, regarding a previous poster's question querying speed, I have been able to wring 7.7 knots out of her with the rail buried and (at one point) taking green water into the cockpit. Average speed most days is 3.2 kts however.
Old 11-25-2008

pace

Roger,

a couple of months ago, in a thunderstorm over otherwise pretty smoothe water, we went "zero-freeboard" with a crew of four hiked what I suspect was a bit above that pace (in fact, maybe up around 10-12kts)...and then turned out of it because the wind was too unstable to bet on ourselves any further..

I think with better trimming and stable wind, it could cruise at 10 if there was enough counter balance - we had about 650 lbs windward and didn't feel like we could hold it 2 more seconds. I fault the captain (me) for too much sail, and perhaps some centerboard/rudder anemia, but it was fun while it lasted!

My estimate is not scientific, per se, but we were cruising faster than I could ever sprint on land (about 12 mph).

on a windless day, we can do 2 knots (somehow). On a breezy day, perhaps 5. On a day of wind, well, well see...but I'm more pleasure than adrenaline driven, so it may be a while
Old 11-25-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Rare or not that does look like a fun little boat. That's pretty much the size and type I'm currently looking for. If you hear of anything similar please don't hesitate to let me know

Enjoy!!

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 11-26-2008

Speed

Chris, the hull is pretty well shaped - fast bow, great lines at about 10-15 degrees, the size is great for one man sailing, you just need a block set for stepping the mast...I could imagine an 8m or 9m boat would be a lot of fun as well, since anything over 16' is really a lot easier with 2 people anyway...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.