SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat?

7K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  Tanski 
#1 · (Edited)
I've always been curious as to how far cruisers will go in a certain size vessel. I for one, have a 21' sailboat and often wonder how far it will take me...

So here is my question:what is the the longest distance you've sailed in the smallest boat you owned!?

The Curious Sailor

#45 ·
I once took a seakayak on a 300km roundtrip trip from Oslo,Norway to an island (North Koster) in Sweden. The trip was 12 days total (7 down the fjord and 5 back up it) with camping on the coast each night. It wasn't terribly difficult if you showed good seamanship - hugging the coast when appropriate; never crossing large bodies or congested waters at known busy times of the day; and stopping off along the coast when tired or hungry. It's all relative when in either large or small boats. I sorta cheated though on the way back up Oslofjord. I had made a 9 square meter triangular sail out of spinnaker cloth that I propped up ( 2 sticks in sleeves on the sides) in front me to sail home. It was a hoot because the winds are always from the South in the summer. I could drop the sail or reef it by rolling it up in strong gusts and sail cross wind. The worst part of the trip was the knuckleheaded motorboaters that would zoom passed to check me out. It was a wonderful trip though.

#46 ·
Sailed a hobie 16 from Ocean City NJ to Lewes Delaware , slept overnight on the trampoline in the state park so the crabs wouldn't annoy us. and back the next day
16 foot sail boat averaging 14 knots
Beer and cooler in one of the hulls

Those were the simpler days������

#47 ·
Across the Bay of Chaleur (Atlantic Ocean, New Brunsick) and back in a 16' open dingy (Mistral 16), about 25 miles each way.
That would be my longest sail in the smallest boat.
Also had a real blast in the same area sailing a Hobie 16 in the tag end of a hurricane, Only time I have ever worn a helmet sailing.
Until last summer I owned a cottage there. Just outside of Bathurst.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.