SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What's the furthest you've sailed in the smallest boat?

7K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  Tanski 
#1 · (Edited)
I've always been curious as to how far cruisers will go in a certain size vessel. I for one, have a 21' sailboat and often wonder how far it will take me...

So here is my question:what is the the longest distance you've sailed in the smallest boat you owned!?

The Curious Sailor

#2 · (Edited)
I paddled about a quarter mile down and across the harbor in a 5' plastic toy pool boat when I must have been about 10. I wanted to see if the hamburgers at the Country Club (across the harbor) were better than the ones at the Yacht Club. I didn't drown or have need of my life jacket. Decided that the burgers weren't worth the trip. The background of my avatar photo shows the Country Club's golf course. The boat in the middleground shows the influence of a hamburger forty years later.

#5 ·
I personally haven't traveled very far on a very small boat as I really enjoy my creature comforts. I do know of a young Japanese man who sailed a 19 footer from Japan to San Francisco. There is also a Mini Transat race for 21 footers.
So I'd say it wasn't a matter of how big the boat was, but the sailor's er xxxxs.

#9 ·
I stay for weeks at a time on my 20 foot Mirage 5.5m. Sail all over Pamlico Sound, NC. I could easily go to Florida if I had the time off work long enough for such a trip. I stay on weekends in my 16 foot Chrysler on an inland lake (Kerr). It is really cramped but can be done. It is warm and dry at night.
It is more about what kind of a trooper you are than what kind of a boat you have. But I would not go smaller than 20 feet for any kind of long distance sailing.

#10 ·
In a 9'6" sailboat, I've circumnavigated,...

So here is my question:what is the the longest distance you've sailed in the smallest boat you owned!?
The Curious Sailor

... Cuttyhunk Pond. :) We've sailed many, many, harbors on the NE coast in this boat. In fact, in two small sailboats(under 10'), we've sailed hundreds of miles, many of those miles with 4 of us onboard.

But to your question, so far, we've sailed a Cape Dory 28 the farthest from our home waters. In our case, distance sailed from home - so far - had more to with our age at the time, than the boat.

These days I'm more engaged in the quality of the miles we sail, than the quantity.

#18 ·
Re: In a 9'6" sailboat, I've circumnavigated,...

... Cuttyhunk Pond. :) We've sailed many, many, harbors on the NE coast in this boat. In fact, in two small sailboats(under 10'), we've sailed hundreds of miles, many of those miles with 4 of us onboard.

But to your question, so far, we've sailed a Cape Dory 28 the farthest from our home waters. In our case, distance sailed from home - so far - had more to with our age at the time, than the boat.

These days I'm more engaged in the quality of the miles we sail, than the quantity.
I plan on doing some miles in my sailing tender with no centre plate or rudder

just the steering oar

#11 ·
Sailed my 24 foot Bristol from Long Island out to Block Island, Cuttyhunk, Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket and all around Narragansett Bay. Even stopped off at Bristol Rhode Island to pick up a part at the factory. Sailed it to New York and Sandy Hook several times when going west.

#15 ·
Jaguar 22 which is the UK version of a Catalina 22. She started me off in this cruising thing.

One summer did Troon to Stornoway and back rounding the Mull of Kintyre on the way out and transiting the Crinan canal on the return.

Next summer I trailed it down to the Adriatic and did Pula down to Albania and back.

#22 ·
Furthest? What the hell does that mean? If you sailed around the world back to your original position, the furthest distance you sayled IS ZERO.

Get your english right. You mean the LONGEST distance.

Reactions: 156680
#41 ·
It is strange what people consider to be a small boat

I recently resigned my column at small craft advisor because I now have a 26 footer

which in my mind is a large boat - until I take it to a Solent Marina where it is dwarfed by the 30 foot twin wheel scoop sterned cheese wedges in their serried ranks.

D
I've always regarded 20' as the dividing line between "small" and "big" boats - probably due to the need to keep the big ones in the water for the most part.

As for "How far", Webb Chiles sailed most of the way around the world in an open 18' Drascombe Lugger. When that was happening I remember thinking that proved there was no lower limit on the boat, only on the skipper.

#33 ·
Sailed my old Catalina 27 from Perryville, MD to Cape Charles, VA and back, round trip about 500 miles as the crow flies, probably closer to 700 with all the tacking I did. Neat trip, had some rough weather near the mouth of the Patuxent River and holed up in a creek for three days waiting for better weather.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

#34 ·
Roger Taylor has single handedly sailed his simple 21 foot junk rigged sailboat Mingming for many thousands of miles, and months at sea at a time..

He sailed from the UK to many destinations and back ***without even stopping!!!*** -> Greenland, Jan Mayen, Iceland, Rockall, the Faroes, Svabard...

#35 ·
Roger Taylor has single handedly sailed his simple 21 foot junk rigged sailboat Mingming for many thousands of miles, and months at sea at a time..

He sailed from the UK to many destinations and back ***without even stopping!!!*** -> Greenland, Jan Mayen, Iceland, Rockall, the Faroes, Svabard...

Go Small. Go Simple. Go Now. - YouTube
I don't understand Roger and his motivations. When I sail I love to be as close to the coast as possible - not for safety because as any fule sailor knows it is shore where the hazards are. But I am fascinated by the join between land and ocean. For me that is where it all happens - the wildlife, the history, the geography. It is a very full canvas.

Roger seeks a blank canvas - it is a sort of Zen I suppose.

For me the inspiration who showed that you could sail a partially prepared small boat to almost anywhere you choose to take her

is

this man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Acton

#37 ·
You seem unable to read the restriction small boat. I know few people that go round world in an 8' to 10' boat. The op question is understood well by all other posters. If you sail aroun the world your "furthest" is the total miles traveled. Close to circumference of planet. Read it again slowly.

I hope I have added value to this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.