SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2 sets of oarlocks on a Porta bote?

8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  2Gringos 
#1 ·
I've been internet-eyeing Porta Botes for a couple years, thinking of getting one and selling the West Marine 3.5m RIB that came with the boat. Corresponded with some owners. Looked at Youtube videos etc. But never saw one in person until this week. I guess there aren't any in the Turks and Caicos Islands. But A cruiser came into the marina with a 10 ft. Porta Bote as a dink and today he showed us how to set it up. In fact, my wife and I set it up and it took us maybe 20 minutes the first time. I could see it taking 5 minutes with some practice. I went out rowing in it, and was pretty impressed. We're planning to take it out again with a 6 hp Tohatsu on it later today.

My question is whether or not any of you have ever seen a 14 ft. Porta Bote with two sets of oarlocks in it? We're thinking that might be an interesting setup for two people who want to row.

#2 ·
I've not seen one with two oar locks but it should be easy enough to do. I've had a eight foot Porta Boat since 2001 and love it. There is a Porta Boat listserv on Yahoo you could ask there. Or give PB a call. The oar locks should be easily to install if you get a pair from the company believe they use rivets.

#4 · (Edited)
decent little tugs. I've got a photo of the cruiser from next door, using his to push this hull into a slot where we could lift it out of the water before it sank on Saturday but haven't yet figured out how to post a photo here. This ten foot Porta Bote is just a thousand miles from completing a 3 and a half year circumnavigation, and Bill says he is NEVER going back to RIBs. He loves his PortaBote.

Not quite clear how to upload it, but lets try this:

Attachments

#5 ·
Porta boat is a nice enough boat if you have the room. Taken apart it's hard to store the parts and they take a lot of room.The hull itself Stores flat on deck or on the rails. The boat is better suited to a camper trailer,in my opinion. I have gone back to an RIB: It's a lot better and way less work! I Use the Porta boat a 12 ft. camping, I have stainless rail brackets for the boat I would like to sell. $50.if your looking...Dale

#6 ·
The OP says he is in the Turks and C, so he must be cruising.
For cruising I think a rib is better and had a few good examples in the last week.

Boat dragged into another and half a dozen dinghys turned up to help. I got squeezed in between the 2 hulls. A dude yelled at me to use my dinghy as a fender. Of course I declined and used my 18HP to push the squishy boat away. A Porta Bote (etc) would have been crushed.

Had to help a boat with engine trouble. Lashed my dink to its hip. Easy for a rib. Not easy for a porta bote.

Had to help a guy who got a 40 ft fishing net in his prop. He was 1.5nms offshore. That's too far for comfort in my dink let alone for a Porta Bote. I did do it but didn't feel comfortable that far out.

Yep, an active week.

But the point is that dinghys do help other people. Can yours? Can the one you are looking at be a help in emergency?

Mark

#8 ·
I have replace the factory oarlocks with "standard" oar locks, but just in the same position. The standard oarlocks have a pretty small bearing surface so they tend to work on the hull stressing it. I found some mahogany trim maybe 1/8” thick by 2” wide and used that as a backer plate to distribute the force. Then you can use real oars and put your back into the pull.

I don't see why you could not do the same thing with a 14' boat and have 2 sets of oarlocks. Don't know how the weight distribution would be. I used bolts and nuts for my install. I can still fold the boat, maybe a wee bit fatter, not an issue.

#12 ·
Have never been a bote with two oarlocks, but it would be pretty easy to install. I've had a 10-footer for near a decade of seasonal coastal cruising. Love it. For our boat and our lifestyle it is the perfect compromise dink. Rows easy, stores on deck (including the seats, which can be a PITA if you don't have a good place), light, near-indestructible, moves well with a small engine. What's not to like :)

#13 ·
that was my impression after a visiting cruiser here let me assemble and then row his 10 footer this week. We've got plenty of room for any of their models, and the seats etc. Our boat has beaucoup storage. The porta bote parts wouldn't even fill up half of one of our lazarettes.

I was remembering some of your earlier comments about stiffening up the gunwhales a bit, and thinking well, if you put an extended board there you could put another set of oarlocks on it. Weight on two middle seats should work I think, on the 14 ft. model. We have a 17.5 ft. beam, and could fit one of these on our stern lifelines no sweat. Wouldn't even be in the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.