Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
What a bunch of gloom and doom!!! You guys want to slow dance together?

Look, it's all about rebirth and planning. Winter is a great time to re-wire the boat, organize the charts, re-varnish the interior, replace the cushions or change out the stove. Its a time for hanging out in the cabin and dreaming of places you want to see. Go on down to the boat, crank up the diesel heater and do some of those things you have ignored while it was nice out.

Quit crying like a bunch of fricking babies and get to work!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
What a bunch of gloom and doom!!! You guys want to slow dance together?

Look, it's all about rebirth and planning. Winter is a great time to re-wire the boat, organize the charts, re-varnish the interior, replace the cushions or change out the stove. Its a time for hanging out in the cabin and dreaming of places you want to see. Go on down to the boat, crank up the diesel heater and do some of those things you have ignored while it was nice out.

Quit crying like a bunch of fricking babies and get to work!!
Old 10-20-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
hey surf..i'm having deja vu all over again with you last posts..
i keep my boat in the water year round and will sail anytime as long as the boat isn't covered in ice..(although this point is negotiable)..poly-pro long underwear warm gloves and a hat..hell..it's always sailing weather as far as i'm concerned..
just my $.02 adjusted for inflation

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 10-20-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
I'm with you Sam! If you're dressed properly, sailing in a snowstorm is pretty cool if a little surreal. Wear gloves though or your knuckles will crack and bleed...not so cool.
Old 10-31-2006

kjsailingSpring is on a distinguished road
Winter Question

I feel the same blues now that winter is here. I'm on the boat every weekend in the summer and fall and winter depresses the heck out of me. What has helped me was to make out a schedule for one sailing/boat related project each weekend of the winter. I have new lifelines to swage one weekend, jib to repair another, clean my stormsails another and so on... It helps me and then I'm ready for sailing as soon as March rolls around. The written schedule is the key so that you can see the end of winter in sight and feel progress as the weeks tick off.

One question to you hearty winter sailors...I'd love to take my boat out on a warm winter day but I can't cause I've winterized the engine. How do you take your boats out in cold climates yet insure that the harsh days don't freeze the engine? I have an inboard yanmar diesel and I sail out of Atlantic City, NJ. Is there a compromise to winterizing?
Old 11-01-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Don't know how your boat is winterized but mine is done by putting in two ounces of fuel treatment (Biobor) per 30 gallons of fuel and pouring two gallons of -100 antifreeze directly into the sea strainer with the engine running until it exits the through-hull.

If you go out, the antifreeze is ejected when you start the engine, so all you need to do is replace it when you get back in.
Old 11-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SailinJay-

Pouring antifreeze into the water is probably illegal in most states...YMMV...but I doubt the local water police would approve, and the fines can be both steep and nasty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-01-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
SailinJay-

Pouring antifreeze into the water is probably illegal in most states...YMMV...but I doubt the local water police would approve, and the fines can be both steep and nasty.
SD,
Most boaters (especially sailors) are sensitive to the environment and use only Propylene Glycol Antifreeze in the raw water sections of their boat's engine. Hopefully you do as well.

I always buy undiluted and mix it 50% with water in a five gallon bucket. A hose is then fed to the sea water strainer, which draws the solution into the engine after starting. As previously mentioned, I also shut down as soon as it's seen exiting from my wet exhaust.
Old 11-01-2006

LyleRussell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LyleRussell
Want winter to end quickly?? Take up snow skiing. Once hooked like me winter is never long enough. As soon as skiing is done it's time to get the boat ready. House $#!t work, do that in March or December.
Old 11-01-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
I assumed in my previous post that everyone used the RV/marine non-toxic propylene glycol antifreeze.

Last edited by SailinJay; 11-01-2006 at 05:50 PM.