Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006

mstern is on a distinguished road
An end of the season confession

I desparately miss sailing over the winter. After the boat is pulled from the water and all my gear is safely stowed away in the basement, I feel sad that it will be a long 5 or 6 months until I can sail again. However, I also feel a sense of.....relief. There, I said it. I spend a lot of time and effort over the summer figuring out ways to get on my boat. There is never enough time to do all of the things my family needs to do, and there are inevitably conflicts. Even though sailing itself is remarkably calming, finding the time to do so can be stressful for me. When the boat is in the water, I am always scheming to find more time. However, when the boat is out of the water, as sad as that is, I don't have to "worry" about finding the time to sail. Does anyone else out there have these feelings of relief, or am I the only traitor?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Tough confession mastern - that took some guts. Our boat is getting pulled on Nov.4 and I know that for the next 5 months, I will be suffering from severe separation anxiety. After my boat is hauled out for the winter, the only feeling of relief I will have is on Mondays; swinging back into work mode will then be easier.
Old 10-19-2006

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
With the way the weather has been around here, yes I to was relieved to see our girl resting comfortably on her cradle. This season's Fall came very early and was very nasty.

The last month or so on Lake Michigan has been brutal. Boats sinking, dock lines parting, cleats ripping, docks breaking, etc.....

I was relieved only because of the way the weather has been and the fact that we survived with no damage, others were not as lucky, one poor boat in Monroe Harbor ended up on the bottom.

We had our last sail from Chicago to Holland, Mi two weeks ago. Had a great ride, but that was our last sail. (Overnight temperature was in the 40's.) We tried for two weeks to get out again, but Mother Nature would not allow it.

We were checking on our boat week and she was pitching like a wild bucking horse in her slip. Boats were being damaged from weather and high winds. We ended up with 8 dock lines in place to keep her secure.

Relieved only because of the weather, still wish we were sailing.
Old 10-19-2006

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
Geography Makes a Big Difference

I use to feel that way when I lived in New England...even at that I didn't come out till Veteran's Day Nov 15th or so. But here on the Chesapeake, the boat stays in the water year round. I have had great sailing every month. There are many days in the winter that the temperature is in the 50's with a medium breeze. Most other people pull their boats so no one else is out on the water. That is the cure for the winter blues.

Moe
Old 10-19-2006

Ronbye is on a distinguished road
I have the same feeling with respect to having to haul my boat each fall and waiting the 6 months before it is lifted in. This year was no exception as I hauled my boat two weeks ago and the weather has been excellent this fall so far. I also feel relieved as well that I can take a break and do some work around the house. My wife was talking to some of the other ladies in our club and they have the same problem getting us guys to work on something other than the boat. The only time they seem to get any work from us is from the end of October to February. Being involved with the activities of the club over the winter months, reading lots of sailing magazines, going on this site helps a lot. One of my daughters made an observation about lift out time in which she never saw so many depressed faces on the men who have sailboats, together in one place before. She thought it was hilarious. Oh, Oh, I am already getting the itch to put her back in the water, it is going to be a long winter.
Old 10-19-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
I had the contradictory feelings mstern described sometimes when we lived on land and the boat was 4 hours drive away. Just the stress of packing, being on the road, and then arriving at a place where (however lovely) the "stuff" was accumulating that you knew you'd have to face late Sunday evening.

All those weirdly relieved feelings all went away when we moved aboard and no longer maintained two "homes." Now life on the boat, as a fulltime liveaboard underway, on the hook, or in the slip, is just lovely.
Old 10-19-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Seems a bit odd this year, having moved aboard. Spent most of the "sailing season" working on the boat, and will be heading out, about the time I would be hauling out instead. It's great knowing I'll be out cruising this winter instead of going through withdrawals. Plus, I won't be living on yachtworld all winter looking for a boat! So here's to an easy winter, early spring and a great season for all you "Northern" sailors.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Thanks John,

After over 20 years of Alaskan winters, you've earned it.

May you have fair winds and calm seas throughout your southern sailing journeys.
Old 10-20-2006

Valdare is on a distinguished road
mstern,

I have the exact feelings. It's this time of year the honey do list is bulging at the seams and my wife who loves to sail is ready to put her away and work on the house, leaves, and all the other @##$$$$ (is that spelled correctly?). My only saving grace is our boat with VIP in St. Thomas. I have comfort in knowing that in 9 weeks I'll have two more weeks of sailing. We're even going to try again in Feb. :-)) Then it's memories and dreams of next season. Winter is do dam long. (sorry)
John
Old 10-20-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern
Does anyone else out there have these feelings of relief, or am I the only traitor?
Our problem is that we only get a couple of months reprieve. December rolls around and we switch to... snowmobiling! It's been pretty bad (as in very little snow) the last couple of years though so we have actually had a lot of free time.