Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006

Lin and Larry is on a distinguished road
Any Aussie Sailors who can help me?

Hi
Larry and I have been asked to write a chapter for the next edition of Adlard Coles Heavy Weather Sailing discussing a storm we encountered off Fraser Island, Queensland, Australia many years ago and how we used our para-anchor to heave to through the worst of it. (We mention this storm in Storm Tactics handbook but not in detail.) I have tried to get access to newspaper reports of the boats and lives lost near Kepple Island and Lady Elliot during this storm including the near loss of Marymuffin and also weather maps from the met office with no luck. Is there someone in Queensland who be willing to help me get this info? The period is November 2nd to 8th 1987.
Sure appreciate any leads.

Lin Pardey
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Lin,
I'm not in Queensland but it's possible some or all of the material you need would be accessible through the State Library of NSW. It would certainly be easier for a canetoad than a cockroach but if you can't find anyone in Queensland, let me know and I'll see what can be done.
Regards
tdw

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-20-2006

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
On getting weather maps form then...I think you will find that the BOM (Buero of meteorology) does not keep computerised records form back then in a manner that can be accessed on modern systems easily. My advice for a "stand out" weather event would be to consult CSIRO (the commonwealth science labs) who would have likely incorporated such data into some of their projects and retained it in an updated form.

Just a thought.

Sasha
(even further away in Melbourne)
Old 10-20-2006

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

G'day youse guys.
I am a CANETOAD and as such can out do those COCKROACHES.
Try GOOGLE on news.com.au and go to the Courier Mail link.
That is a major newspaper that covers the state of Queensland (CANETOAD COUNTRY) and they may have something on the story.

Another one to try is the STATE LIBRARY of QUEENSLAND. They would have a web site somewhere.
If they are of no use to you, get back to me and I will phone around for you.
No troubles mate.

And for the Cockroachs', who has the Premiership Cup now? Oh yeah, and the State of Origin cup?. (Only Aussies know what I mean).
Better luck next year..
Old 10-20-2006

Wink

G'day guys...Back again..
You could also try CRUISING HELMSMAN for info..
Editor is carolinestrainig@aapt.net.au
Also a yachting paper that has been going for a couple of years that is based up the coast not far from there. They could have some info you could use.
It is called The Coastal Passage.

Find it at www.coastalpassage .com

Offer still holds if you if you luck out at these places. I will phone around for you.

And you cockroachs', I hope we are all united for the TRI-NATION CUP. Gotta show those pesky kiwis.

AVAGOODWEEKEND
Jim.
Old 10-20-2006

TCPBob is on a distinguished road
I got a message on my normal email from sailorjim99 (thanks mate) that provoked my curiosity so I backtracked and here I am... interesting!

Lin, I don't know the storm you mentioned but.. I bet I know those who do and will see if I can chase em up for you. The information would most likely be personal recolection though. A name of the storm would be useful, especialy in attempting to find hard data.

Cheers

Bob Norson

www.thecoastalpassage.com

Last edited by TCPBob; 10-20-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I did check out the on line archives at the State Library down here but the information can only be accessed in person.
Bloody football ! Who cares who won the damn thing this year anyway. Last year was the one that was important (he said and skulked off to have a quiet sulk). Sniff !
Cheers mate
tdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjim99
G'day youse guys.
I am a CANETOAD and as such can out do those COCKROACHES.
Try GOOGLE on news.com.au and go to the Courier Mail link.
That is a major newspaper that covers the state of Queensland (CANETOAD COUNTRY) and they may have something on the story.

Another one to try is the STATE LIBRARY of QUEENSLAND. They would have a web site somewhere.
If they are of no use to you, get back to me and I will phone around for you.
No troubles mate.

And for the Cockroachs', who has the Premiership Cup now? Oh yeah, and the State of Origin cup?. (Only Aussies know what I mean).
Better luck next year..

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-24-2006

Wink

G'day TDW
Yeah mate..Your right.
Who cares about football..Certainly not me.
BUT you have to admit, the QUEENSLAND flag sure did improve the look of the SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE.

Better luck next year..
Jim.
Old 10-24-2006

TCPBob is on a distinguished road
Lin and Larry;
I checked with notable local at VMR east Mackay Geoff Henry OAM whoe recalled a bad stprm about that time but couldn't recalll details, he forwarded me to BOM Brisbane that does keep record but no help there. I talked to Geoff Killegan who found record of a vicious storm in dec of 88 that would have been that distructive but nothing in 87. I can send phone #'s if you wish to check yourselves. lemme know.

Cheers

Bob Norson

tcp@matilda.net.au

www.thecoastalpassage.com