Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... if you really like the boat...and it surveys well, who cares who made it... If it sails well, surveys well, and looks good....does it really matter??? Just another view on the whole thing. From the photos you've posted, she looks like a beautiful boat...

The other thing you could do is to go to the state government authority that issues the boat registration numbers, and look up the numbers on the bow of the boat. They should have some record of what kind of boat is registered under that number. Of course, I didn't see a state registration sticker in the photo...but it is likely that it is registered in whatever state you're in....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2006

Sonofasonofasailor is on a distinguished road
It is a sharp looking boat!

Try comparing the cove stripe to the many examples cataloged on the good old boat website. I tried to but can't see the cove stripe in the pics well enough to determine anything.
Old 10-24-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
The hull looks similar to a mid-70's C&C 32, but those odd little portlights flanking the forward berth are unusual and the sidelights are shaped differently. I suppose it could be a customized C&C.
Old 10-24-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"I can not find a hin anywhare i don't think all manufacturers were using hin's in 77!! "
IIRC in the US HINs were required beginning in 1972. It would be on the *outside* of the transom, on the starboard side, near the top corner.

Depending on your state laws, if the boat was state registered it may also be titled property, i.e. that ownership cannot be transferred without the title. BY 1977, I think most states were on this program. And the HIN and title information would be on file with the state, usually there's a minimal fee to get the information by filing a request using the registration numbers.
Old 10-24-2006

brianbourgeois is on a distinguished road
ok she was registered in ontario as a command yachts ltd. douglas 32 mk2 1977.
she is wonderful and very fast but all of the douglas's have a full keel.
the canadian coast guard is no longer looking after registrations, it is now done by the unemployement office!!!!! (they can't find the power buton on their computers.)
the deck may have been a custom fit to a kit hull.

i will try the cove stripe search but it looks like she has been recoated.
thanks again
brian b
Old 10-25-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
http://www.douglas32.com/DougHist.html
check the site!
Old 10-25-2006
can't re member

and here
http://www.angelfire.com/sd/douglas32/
still no good explanation for the unusual deck and cabintop but perhaps some of the enthusiasts at these sites could help you. Let us know what you learn.
Old 10-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nice link...but the cabintop looks a bit different from what I see on the site, compared to the photos.

The transom on the Douglas is a reverse counter, but the transom on the boat pictured seems to be almost vertical or sloped aft a bit.

Also, the drawing on the Douglas site seems to indicate that it is a moderate-keel with keel mounted rudder, but the photos clearly show a fin keel with a spade rudder, so something is very fishy here...it doesn't appear to be a Douglas...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2006

GoLikeaFish is on a distinguished road
Obviously a USO from another planet.
Old 10-25-2006
can't re member

Uh yeah...good point about the keel. The Hullmasters in the photo album do show the same transom rake though. You're right, Very Fishy!