SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailboat Lightning Strike Caught On Camera

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Chas H 
#1 ·
The post Sailboat Lightning Strike Caught On Camera appeared first on gCaptain

Terrible day for this sailboat moored off of Kassandra in Northern, Greece. Might want to give a once over of the electronics after a direct hit like that. At least the boat owner is laid over in a beautiful place if she needs repair.

Timing is everything...

A good reminder to keep spare [and all] electronics secured in a Faraday cage...

Cheers!

Bill

See less See more
Reactions: mbianka
#6 ·
I'm not disagreeing with you Mr Wakefield, but aren't Faraday cages theoretical?

See more @ redemptiverepair.com
What a curious thing to say- they haven't been theoretical since Faraday invented them.
I've worked in several of them, for different purposes. One was at the old CBS Audio Labs in Emeryville; there was the old KDIA AM antenna mast nearby, and the music got into _everything_.
Later I moved up into the Hills, and the problem there was KPFA-FM. We were working on _very_ sensitive Particle detectors, (One atom at a time sensitive...), and we worked in insulated, screened, and single-point grounded rooms.

All of the Electronics inside of our HV Ion Source Terminals, (Up to 750KV.), were inside Faraday Shielded Cages.
Faraday Cages are all around us. A Microwave Oven has a Faraday Cage, and a 747 _is_ a Faraday Cage.

Faraday Cups are also interesting, and no, one does not normally wear one.
To measure the Current, (Literally true...), of an Ion Beam, one directs the beam onto the bottom of the Cup, and measures the resultant Electron Flow to ground. One Electron for every Electron stripped from the Ion. But there is a problem called SEE- Secondary Electron Emission. Electrons can be dislodged from the cup surface and fly out again, which effects the reading. Since these are very low energy Electrons, a charged screen in front of the cup or magnets to the side redirect these Secondary Electrons back in again, and order is restored back to the Universe.

¬Erindipity

#11 ·
"I have read, can't remember where but it was something along the lines of the only people who would know if they're possible is the government when they did atom bomb tests against EMP. "

Oh, my...
This is not "Classified" knowledge; the principles of Faraday Shielding are very well understood and very widely applied.
I'm Out; this conversation has veered into uninformed, conspirational, Loonyland.

¬Erindipity

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.