What happens to all the stuff from boats that are scrapped / totaled? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
What happens to all the stuff from boats that are scrapped / totaled?

I was wondering what happens to all the "stuff" that is still usable from boats that were damaged. With all the boats that were lost by hurricanes, storms, etc. last year. What happens to the things that are still usable? It would be my guess that there is a tons of stuff that could be saved/recycled.

Always looking for a deal...where could someone look for this stuff without having to spend a lifetime on the internet. I'm thinking of that winch, davit, wheel, pedestal, etc. that would be fine even if it spent a day or two under water?

Is it because the time its takes to remove the items isn’t worth the cost savings?

Besides a lot of marina yards…does anyone know of boat "junk yards"? Is there anything in the Mid Atlantic region, Maryland, Chesapeake Bay?

Any thoughts...? Thanks

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-21-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Google 'used marine' or similar and you will find many chandleries that specialize in selling used boat goodies.
Old 10-21-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If it isn't abandoned, or ordered to be disposed of by someone (marina, harbormaster, USCG) it probably was an insurance loss and the insurer sold the entire boat off as scrap.

Insurers don't want to waste time teaching "retail" customers the scrap business, they'd rather deal with the breakers that they know, i.e. the chandleries and yards that buy from them regularly and put the stuff up for sale after reconditioning it (or not) and where dealing with the public on a one-see two-see basis is the normal trade and a part of the markup.

The other route is from some companies that do "broken boat" auctions. You can find them on the web, but frankly, a lot of folks get auction fever, a lot of things can't be inspected, and you may not find any bargain that way either. If you go that route--don't let anything rush you, and make a detailed paper estimate of the time and money it will cost you to fix the broken boat. It may be way cheaper to just buy a used one.