Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006

Sebago is on a distinguished road
Arrow Typical stops from Ft. Lauderdale to Marathon

Hi,

I'm just wondering what the typical stops might be if going :

1. outside from Stuart down to Marathon (if you draw 5') and

2. inside - any marina recommendations? We plan to sail/motor for 6-7 hours a day. We are not out to break any records, just want a nice easy cruise in February, to take our time and just check out the area. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2006
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
If you're going inside from Lauderdale to Miami you better check the Julia Tuttle bridge. It's only 50 odd feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2006

Well, thanks. Nice thing is on our S-2 30' the mast is 43'6 from the waterline. That should be a help.
Old 10-23-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
If possible you will want to go outside from Lake Worth to Lauderdale to avoid the 19 bridges in that stretch of the ICW. Miami Beach has a few nice spots to anchor around the Venetian causeway and Lincoln Avenue is a interesting to say the least. After the hustle and bustle of Miami Beach,half way down Biscayne Bay Boca Chita Key is a nice quiet stop but don't go a weekend unless your into generators and loud salsa music.
Old 10-23-2006

gc is on a distinguished road
Avoid weekends for the Ft. Lauderdale -> Miami stretch. Did I say that loud enough AVOID WEEKENDS! I had the most miserable day in a couple of months of trip down the ICW, making that leg on a weekend. It is mostly concrete lined, LOTS of motorboats throwing up wake that just echos from one bank to the other and keeps building. I had to wedge myself in the cockpit behind the wheel and then I got soaked from a go-fast boat going past at about 2 ft. separation.
Old 10-24-2006

19 Bridges eh? Yikes... ok, we'll plan to come out from the Glades boatyard on the Okachobee Riv and go outside to Miami I guess. I'm waiting for a more detailed chart at this moment. How long should I plan for that trip in moderate winds say?
Old 10-24-2006

That wake madness sounds insane. We had a similar experience in of all places Ireland on the Shannon - a mad dog came flying in a no wake zone and sent all our dishes, and more importantly beverages flying as we hung on for dear life on the quay in our motorboat. Sick people out there... brainless no zero consideration for others or both...shame.
Old 10-24-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Not to wander too much from the intention of this thread, but saw a group sailors (college age) that rigged a giant sling shot off their boat and shot water balloons at the speeding boats. I bet Cardiac has seen this too. It was on Texoma. Something like that might be just the ticket to slow down the boaters. A bunch of empty plastic bags helps with them too (nothing shuts down a t-hull quicker). Course, the environmental aspect of those is not good... just make sure they really get in the way of the speeding boat.

Down in Florida I always tell the offending Sea Rays (and others) that they are number one on ch 16 and show them my visiual appreciation. Course, you realize that they do not ever have their VHF turned on and never look back, so not sure it really helps anyone but me feel better. Maybe I like the slingshot idea better... but with frozen water ballons.
Old 10-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, reporting idiots like this to the local police, preferably with some nice video evidence is always a treat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-24-2006

lonebull is on a distinguished road
1 day - Dinner Key Marina and party in the Grove.
2 days - run a 5-6 knot day down to Jewfish Creek anchoring on the south side of the bridge going 'around the sand bar to starboard, then approaching the groves. play in the groves for a day, and at the Gilbert's hotel/marina/bar for an evening.
(at this point you can continue south in the ICW, if you don't mind a bumping the bottom a bit, on to Marathon, or you can.........)
2 day - run back North and anchor in Cape Florida State Park's Hidden Hole . There's fresh water baths, trash disposal, walking trails, a restaraunt and it's protected in all conditions. hot in the summer, great in the winter.
1 day - Sail out the Biscayne cut into Hawk Channel anchoring where appropriate at Rodriguez Key.
1 day - Sail Marathon Key harbor. Plenty to do and see for as long as you care to look. Stay as long as you like. Like a big motor home park for boats.

Hope you have a great time.