Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, he also affectionately referred to it as "the submarine". This is not a dry boat. Just something to consider.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Yotphix - A lot of boats of that vintage were the same. My previous boat (an Australian design of 28') was not dissimilar to a scaled down Contessa 32 and she was wet but a good stout dodger sorted the worst of that out , or so the new owner told me. Same with the cabin headroom but again typical of the age. In the end it's why I sold her. Just a bit too cramped for long term cruising particularly as the years pass and one is not quite so nimble.

Sly - I wouldn't necessarily reject all of the IOR boats. Some, particularly the earlier ones make quite good cruising boats and have a reasonable turn of speed for a cruiser. Those older boats usually had a pretty moderate fin with skeg hung rudder so I'm not saying they are much chop for racing these days. One that springs to mind is the S&S 34 which I think was very similar to the old Tartan 34. An Australian guy did a double circumnavigation in one and they seem to be held in very high regard as a small cruiser though again known as fairly wet boats and unless you have an MPS not all that fast off the wind. I believe that this is caused by the short boom but JeffH will probably blow me out of the water again on that point. Your final decision could well be a compromise between your dreams and your bank balance.
Cheers

tdw

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-25-2006

slyrss3 is on a distinguished road
Well guys, thanx for your advice. I'm 6 foot, and standing room is important! Right now I have a US Yacht 27. On a recent thread on US Yachts went back and forth from them being the worse boats ever created to great boats that the owners love. I really like my boat. I can stand up inside her, that's good for 27 feet. I sail in San Francisco bay, so we get a lot of wind, but no waves. I have felt secure and I think she sails well. She is NOT an oecan cruiser, so I am studying on what I want for my next boat. The funny thing is, if you asked an owner of a Buccaneer, arguably on of the worst designs, if they like their boats, they will tell you they LOVE their boats! This tells me two things. One, you can't allways trust someones opinion about their boat. And two, maybe it's really the experience of sailing that people really love and it really doesen't matter what kind of boat brings it to ya. I've heard it's not the kind of boat the skipper has, but what kind of skipper the boat has.

Fair winds
Old 10-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
While it is true that most boats are far tougher than the crew aboard them, some boats are far more suitable for certain sailing purposes than others.

If you want a bluewater cruiser, the Contessa 32 is definitely one of the better ones available, especially in that size range for a reasonable price. The HR34 is also a pretty solid boat, in that size range, but IIRC, will cost a good deal more than the Contessa.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2006

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
Slyrss3:

Jeremy Rogers seems to be a very interesting person. He still sails his old Contessa 26 quite successfully (http://www.jeremyrogers.co.uk/ ). As of several years ago, the Contessa 32 was back in production – but on a limited basis. I believe Jeremy would build them if he received a minimum order although I forget what number was required. One of the British yachting magazines reviewed one of the new ones. He is also refurbishing older 32’s.

http://www.jeremyrogers.co.uk/index01.html