Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear that T37, she did feed you a line of crap, I suppose if your HD was a show bike you'd replate it once a yr or two whether it needed it or not, but chrome done and maintained right should last many years.

I swear, next time try PC, it comes in colors that would blow you away, you could get the inside done in a color that matches your boat and a outside finish from high luster metal finishes to weathered bronze and do it for under 400 bucks.

I had a YZ Yamaha frame PC'ed in metalic candy silver base coat with a translucent candy blue finish for under 400.00, Had a YZF frame done in Fire engine red for under 350.00. Had all the deck hardware, port frames and hatch hinges on our last boat done in weather bronze done for 500.00

Done correctly it will last years & years, even if you f*** one up, a 50-75.00 minimum PC charge & 2 days and you have a new finish.

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Shawn,,,sorry to hear about the cowls..they looked beautiful when I first saw them. I say threaten to picket them..Get your money back and buy new ones from Vetus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-15-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
chef, did their invoice or bill have a written warranty on it?

If not...then you would have a good shot in small claims court. Find some statements from vendors or industry trade sources about chromed goods for marine use, and let the platers know that you'll be taking them to small claims court (surely Maryland has something like that?) for substandard work and--if there's no written warranty from them--for violation of federal and state warranty laws, as appropriate. You can start with the Magnusson-Moss Act and Uniform Commercial Code, both speak to statutory warranties when there are no written ones.

In my inexpert experience...a chrome job doesn't fail in two years of "consumer" use, unless the preparation or chroming were done improperly in the first place. Chromed plumbing, chromed bumpers, Harleys (you might ask a local HD dealer who they use for chroming and talk to them)...it isn't normal for quality goods to fail in two years. Or stain in the first rain.

At those prices they should stand behind their work!
Old 04-15-2010

yobdik is on a distinguished road
We had the same decision to make this year.........went with stainless. This was one of our better moves.

Paul
Old 04-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second what HS said. What is the date you picked up your vents? Magnusson Moss may grant you some protection. You might also contact the local AG's consumer protection office.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-25-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Shawn,,,sorry to hear about the cowls..they looked beautiful when I first saw them. I say threaten to picket them..Get your money back and buy new ones from Vetus.
I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and will be filing a complaint with Maryland District Court. Hopefully some mediation will produce something worthwhile or I'll be taking them to small claims court if I can muster enough evidence to prove that they are at fault.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-25-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Ugh, that is painful to hear about and see. This one is going to cut both ways, so how it ends will be curious. First, they should have clearly warned you that a salt water environment would be harsh on a re-chrome. They had to know that. Secondly, it is very common for re-chromes to be inferior to OEM, which may make their case that they provided a product that meets standard.

There have been many references to Harley or moto rebuilders, and nearly all would tell you the same. Re-chrome shops are not as durable as OEM. When I was young, I had several re-chromed parts on my Harley. It was kept in a partially environ controlled garage and never, ever exposed to the rain (let alone salt water, humidity and baking sun). Still, those parts began to discolor after a few years.

Sorry for the experience, I would have posted the same warning if I had been aboard here when you first posted.
Old 06-05-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I know a guy who does powder coating in Baltimore. He redid the pedestal on his Catalina 27 and it was gorgeous. He also does commemorative plaques for firefighters, so he's a real artist. PM me if you would like contact info.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-15-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
To add my 2 cents, Powder Plus in Carlisle, PA did a great job with a wrought iron patio set. (table, 5 chairs, two end tables) It was from the 1950's and had at least 6 coats of paint on it. They blasted, baked and powder coated it a few years ago. Cost $350 I think. Still looks great. Not a single chip and they've been sitting outside year-round ever since. They were the closest place I could find that had an oven big enough to do table. Their oven is big enough to do sprint car frames. I have no affiliation with them but if anyone needs a big part done they would be my recommendation.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 06-22-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
You should have specified HEAVY chrome plating.