Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006

goldingds is on a distinguished road
Good Diver's Watches

Hey all. Who makes good diver's watches? What kind of watch do you wear when you hit the seas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2006
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I just free dive but I never take my watch off. I always get one with a screw-in crown and rated to 200 meters. Analog, of course. Right now using an old Casio (hard to find a new one that's rated 200 m now) and a new Citizen eco-drive (runs on light, artificial or sun) Titanium 200m. Of course, 30 feet's my limit and not a lot of bottom time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like the Eco-Drive watches, especially since they don't require batteries. I normally wear a SailHawk Eco-Drive titanium that was a gift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-29-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Gold, apparently if you plan to DIVE with it, they all leak unless the seals are replaced regularly, like every two years even if there's a screw-down crown to secure that weak point. I hear this from multiple watch repair shops, who all say if you plan to use it for diving, buy whatever is cheap enough to replace because a set of seals is useless without a pressure test, which means going into the shop for service every 2nd year. That can cost more than many "decent" watches do!

For plain wet wear on the surface...any of them seem to do well. The makers all warn that you should not wear them in the shower or under the faucet, as the force of the water shooting out is apparently higher than the pressure rating for many of the seals on these watches. (I suspect you'd have to needle jet exactly the right spot for that to be a real problem, but again, they all say this. Maybe I've been lucky, that's never been a problem.)
Old 10-29-2006

hmmm thanks guys

hellosailor, does that apply to gold-plated watches, or just watches with more gold?
Old 10-29-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Gold need not apply. Metal, plastic, all same same once they get wet. Or need service.
Old 10-29-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
My Tag Heuer, 300 meter Aquaracer Automatic is at it's best both topside and at depth. I'm a very active wreck diver and sailor, subjecting my watch to all sorts of abuse, but the saphire crystal defies scratching - five years of constant wear and it still looks like it just left Switzerland.

I chose the metalic blue face - sharp enough for office meetings and sporty elsewhere. The dual clasp, stainless bracelet has two easily adjusted positions - for bare wrist or over a wetsuit cuff.

Old 10-29-2006
Plausible Deniability

TrueBlue, many of them do perform very well for many years. I'm just repeating the warnings that I've gotten from Rolex, Breitling, Casio, Timex , Seiko, and Omega, along with a family friend who was a jeweler for many years, and the Rolex authorized repair shop on Bermuda (stopping in during a beach flooding of my Accutron, and he remarked that *all* brands flooded), and one of the older multiple swiss-brand authorized gents in NYC. (Not a watch shop, but one of the few men actually authorized to do factory service.)

They all say the same thing, that the seals are simply not reliable for more than 1-2 years after a fresh seal and pressure test. Sooner or later, if you keep diving, they'll flood.

Well, except the original Pulsar, which has nothing to do with the brand of the same name today. The original was a permanently encapsulated, LED watch with solar power. No seals=no leaks possible.

So I dive with a plastic watch, and if it leaks...the damage is limited to $40.

By the way, almost every "diving" watch today shares a common error. The numbers on the bezel? On the older diving watches, these were always "count down" sequence to measure your remaining air time. On almost all the new watches, the bezels are backwards--they count UP, not down. Go figure!

And then of course there are diving computers...but somehow, I just refuse to go there. I've got one of the big clunky "Princeton" automatic stopwatches in my diving console, trusty old wind-up technology with only two robust o-rings in it.
Old 10-29-2006

Well, I'm looking for something that will survive years of boating, maybe falling in a few times. I don't plan on doing heavy diving.
Old 10-30-2006

capttb is on a distinguished road
I have an analog Pulsar with screw down crown from 1980 that is still running just fine after decades in the saltwater. Seals were screwed up once during a battery change but I returned to watchnaker and he dried, cleaned, lubed & fixed the seals and it was good to go. Last 4 years or so been wearing a Casio G-shock Surfer's watch that gives sun, moon, and tide data that cost ~ $90. When watchmaker replaced battery he commented on how well sealed it was and said next time new battery would be $20 not $10 cause it had twice as many screws as any other watch. Just did a quick search and found the attached website which has a description of this series of watchs. Only downside is too many buttons.
http://www.jewelry-online.us/122372.htm