First Boat - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-13-2016 Thread Starter

First Boat

hi, new to the forum but not new to sailing. I grew up sailing on my fathers 32' Irwin in Long island sound. I now live in western pa and am thinking of my first boat which of course would mostly be for lake sailing and hopefully some on Erie. I am looking at a Venture 23'. I have searched the forum and seen the good and bad people say about the Macgregor's. I figure it is what it is with the boat I just find it a very pretty style. I guess my question/s are if anyone can give me any specifics good or bad on it and if it would be decent boat to take from say Erie to Georgian Bay and if anyone has done a sail like that in that boat.
thanks for any help and I look forward to your advice.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-13-2016

Re: First Boat

The Venture 23 is reputed to be a very low quality boat. Here is some reading for you:

1973 23ft venture MacGregor

Do you specifically need a trailerable boat?
post #3 of 17 Old 03-13-2016
Boat Bum

To determine the ability of a boat for local sailing conditions, just get drunk at the yacht club and tell them your plans
I'm sure you will get a more informed opinion than you will on the internet..

No wife, no kids, no debt.
post #4 of 17 Old 03-13-2016 Thread Starter

i guess technically I don't need a trailer able boat there is dock space at the lake but a trailer would be convenient.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-13-2016

The 23' Venture of Newport is loaded with character, and was one of the first small boats that I admired. However, it was designed and built to sail on smaller inland lakes in generally moderate conditions, where shelter is nearby. IMO, it wasn't built robustly enough to make long passages over open waters. A trip from Lake Erie to Georgian Bay would involve long passages over open waters, and a Venture of Newport wouldn't be a good choice for that purpose. It would be ok to trailer it to Georgian Bay and cruise the bay, but I wouldn't want to sail one there from Lake Erie.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-14-2016

Whenever I think of the Great Lakes it makes me think of Tartan 10's. Don't know what your launching/mooring/docking/budget/draft situation is but they seem to be fun boats that are pretty capable without being overly complicated. I've even seen one on a trailer.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-14-2016

From Erie, PA to Georgian Bay you are talking about half of the Great Loop.

Do you want to go counter-clockwise (like my Dad in the 1950's) or the other way?

Not the MacGregor. They are not good sailing boats, but they motor like hell, and have a center board.

I do not believe these stats . . but here they are.

Parks Canada - Trent-Severn Waterway National Historic Site - Trent-Severn Waterway Navigation Facts

You can avoid the Trent Severn with the clockwise route (Lake Erie- Detroit River-Lake Huron), but that one has a lot of open water sailing, which is great - but not for a MacGregor.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-14-2016

Stats look about right to me for the T.S., what don't you believe?
You wouldn't get much tourism done in that time frame. To be honest that isn't a bad thing!
post #9 of 17 Old 03-14-2016 Thread Starter

I sailed from Erie to Georgian Bay when I did a brief volunteer crew on the brig Niagara and it is somewhat of a bigger trip. which is why I was asking about it. As pretty as it is I think the consensus seems to be to wait until another boat comes up. I remember Lake Erie being every bit the same to sail as Long island Sound was and would rather not risk it. any other small boats I should look out for instead? I looked at a freedom 21 at the end of last season but wasn't in love with it.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-14-2016
Owner 4knot sb.

There is a huge difference between the
Venture 23
Mac 25
Mac 26S
Mac 26X motor sailor
Mac 26d

The built qualities are perfectly acceptable of the V23, and all of the above for "light" duties.

I've found that most people who figure on sailing trailerable boats as their first boats (then pick LARGER trailerables) have a complete misunderstanding of how much work is involved to trailer, then sail the boat, then derig and trailer home.

I agree with others though that given the sailing venue, you might wanna get a boat that is heavier built. If you still have to trailer sail, consider something like the Compac 23.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.