SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Book Buying (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/24534-book-buying.html)

sailorjim99 10-30-2006 06:51 AM

Book Buying

G'day folks.
My daughter and son are arriving in the States this Wednesday and I want them to get a copy of Jimmy Connels book on sailing routes.
Is West Marine the place to go and buy it in California?
Also, is there a magazine type publication of approx. 400 to 500 pages on BOATS FOR SALE that cover the west coast?

Need answers real quick please.

Thanks in advance.
:confused:

sailingdog 10-30-2006 08:07 AM

West Marine might have it, but it would also be worth checking the larger Barnes & Noble and Borders bookstores, especially if you're in an area where sailing is a popular sport. Another place to check is other marine chandleries, West Marine is often more expensive than some of the others. You could also order the book from Bluewater Books & Charts. Powell's is also another good bookstore to check, but would have to be via mail order.

camaraderie 10-30-2006 12:26 PM

www.bluewaterweb.com can get the book to you quickly.
Suggest you try www.yachtworld.com and specify the west coast as your region to see listings of thousands of boats.
Also...you can check boat ads here monthly...
www.latitude38.com/classy/Clas200610/classy.htm

sailorjim99 10-31-2006 06:47 AM

G'day guys.
Thanks for those suggestions.
The kids take off in a few hours and they have been briefed.
They know what to look for now.

This is their first trip to your country. I hope they will meet only nice folks there.

Thanks for the suggestions.:cool:

sailingdog 10-31-2006 09:49 AM

Most of the sailors are good folk...the drivers in LA are pretty bad though... funny thing is some are the same people. :D

sailorjim99 11-02-2006 07:05 AM

Drivers

G'day Sailingdog
I have it all figured out why U.S. drivers are so bad.
YOU ALL DRIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD.
Lucky you are on the water. Makes the sudden stops a little softer.

I am sure they will have a good time.

Thanks to all who offered advice on the book buying.
I have sent the wish list.
This is where dad gets payback for raising them.:rolleyes:

sailingdog 11-02-2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

Lucky you are on the water. Makes the sudden stops a little softer.
There are almost never any sudden stops on the water... you've either run aground...and aren't on the water or hit something...In both cases it is usually operator error. :D

And exactly who says we're on the wrong side of the road... You guys must be on the wrong side of the road, since we are definitely on the RIGHT side of the road.

My father says that spoiling the grandkids and then giving them back is actually payback for raising us... :D I think he's right.