SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Boat US vs. SeaTow (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/24549-boat-us-vs-seatow.html)

Sebago 10-30-2006 04:32 PM

Boat US vs. SeaTow

We used Seatow last year and really liked the local knowledge they could put us in touch with. They were very helpful and knowledgable in SW FLA. We are wondering about how Boat US compares and if the Boat US discount at marinas is real or a vapor.
Thanks,
Maura:o

ebs001 10-30-2006 04:36 PM

Many marinas just ask if you have BoatUS, but many check and the dicounts are real both for fuel and for dockage. If you use marinas extensively you'll pay for your membership in savings.

Vasco 10-30-2006 05:10 PM

I've had both over the years but luckily have not had to use their services. The last few years I've had Boat US. I have had the Boat US discount on fuel but as I don't go to marinas don't know about them. Both companies are very helpful with local knowledge if you hail them.

sailingdog 10-30-2006 05:18 PM

One advantge of a Tow BoatUS membership is that you also get a 15% rebate on your West Marine purchases as certificates good towards future Worst Marine purchases.

Cruisingdad 10-30-2006 05:48 PM

The Boat US stuff is basically free with their membership. The membership is so cheap, it should be a part of everyone who boats, especially cruisers (No, I do not work for Boat US, HAHA). However, they have a really nice lobby group and are often the forerunners on legislation to push for boaters rights. Sure hope you have not been depending on your local congressman for that!!

That alone is a good reason to always have a Boat US membership. Just think of the discounts as a freebie on top of that. PS Yes, they work, but you have to mention it upfront in my experience.

camaraderie 10-31-2006 09:13 AM

I agree with the value of BUS membership..it is cheap and pays for itself in discounts particularly on fuel. I've had great experiences both times I've had to use their towboat service as well but would not automatically sign up for their extended coverage as SeaTow also does a great job and depending on where you are located or traveling, one may provide better service availability than the other. Check where both services are based locally and pick the one that will get to you more quickly.

Sebago 11-01-2006 08:41 AM

Many thanks.

sailingdog 11-01-2006 09:08 AM

Cam's right. Although BoatUS has a lot of advantages over SeaTow...if they don't exist where you are, they can't help you much. :D Get which ever service has better coverage in the areas you normally sail.

Cruisingdad 11-01-2006 12:05 PM

True, but join Boat US regardless. If you cannot aford their membership, I truly don't understand how you can afford to boat at all.

sailingdog 11-01-2006 01:09 PM

Good point cruisingdad... and their lobbying efforts are really for the benefit of us all...