Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006
New Troop

daveline is on a distinguished road
I love Mine

I have a Mac "98" I bought last Feb. from a wonderful guy named Cy. The boat was dressed out with more than everything. I'm having a blast with her.

I can do 14.8 knotts with 4 people and gear with a 50 hourse honda. I can do almost 6.4 knotts under sail.

Opperated correctly, I think it's the safest "sail/motor boat out there".

With ballast, it can handle a good load safely.

Light crew? (1-2) Faster without ballast gut not as safe. Read and compair and I think it's the best over all "Sail/Motor boat out there".
Dale
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2006
New Troop

daveline is on a distinguished road
I just read some of You'all's reply

This should start something.

My 1st time out I went to an island about 10 miles from here. I started off with sail and switched to motor because I was worried about dark. I found a nice sopt and camped out close to an island and a coast guard boat.

Next day, wind was strong and I decided to motor back. If I'm not in a rush, I can get 6.7 knotts with 1/2 power and about 11 miles per gallon.

I dont mind running from a storm. I can go 14.8 with 4 people and gear.

And yes, it is a good and safe boat. Part is filled with foam so it can stay afloat with 5 people on it and flooded.

Ya safe

dale
Old 11-06-2006

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
Other trailerable compromise 26 footers

I can see that in some situations a sailboat that motors quickly can be useful to get to an otherwise inaccesible sailing ground. Say you launch on a river, etc... and the only way to get sailing is to travel 10 miles. On traditional boat would be 2 hours out and 2 hour in which would limit sailing time.

I can also see the point that some people would like to (or need to) trailer the boat to a weekend destination and then after sailing trailer it back. Weight, beam and other restrictions make this a challenge as well as ease of raising and lowering the rig.

Finally I can see that in a sandy shore area it would be pretty sweet to beach the bow of the boat and jump out for an hour or two. A bit of a swim for those of us on fixed keel boats.

All this being said aside from the long motor situation trailerable does not necessarily mean a Mac and certainly doesn't necessitate poor sailing performance. It does not even require water ballast.

Other boats.
Chrysler 26. Late 70s boat that aimed at the same market as older Macs. Lots of interior room. Not reputed to be a fantastic sailing vessel. Lightweight rig.

Older Mac 26. Not a whole lot different than the Chrysler in concept. Have a 91 model in our marina. Believe is swing keel same as Chrysler.

A host of 22 foot swing keel models. CS22, Catalina 22 and many others. Trailerable, good for shallow area transits and most suffer a bit on upwind performance. A friend had a CS22 and said he thought would be ideal but gave up on idea of racing it because too slow.

Now some interesting boats.
S2 7.9 Raced against one of these this summer and then did some research. This has a retractable weighted daggerboard. Raced in 20 knots in waves. The boat did not perform any differently than my traditional fin keel 26 foot boat. The rig looks solid, there is a huge racing fleet, the boat is fast and stable. If I wanted atrailerable boat I would look for one of these as there seem to be less sailing related compromises for trailerability. Can be beached as well. Only compromise is interior is a bit less cozy than some otehr 26 footers.

C&C Mega 30. Lots written on this one. The ultimate compromise boat. Hydraulic retractable keel. Has about as many comments as the Mac. Fast, trailerable, not pretty and maybe too many compromises in its design

The short version of all this? If you want a trailerable boat in 26 foot range don't think Mac is the only option. Don't think there are no boats of this type that sail well. Don't even consider thinking you have to buy new.

Personally? I would take the S2 7.9 in a flash. Even the pics of trailers on their sites are exciting.

Mike
Full Tilt 2
Niagara 26 #002
Old 11-06-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
You know, I personally have never been attracted to "rubanesque" women but I see perfectly happy men with them all the time. Iwould not criticise either the woman nor the man who loves her. I am quite secure with my skinny littl wife and do not not need to cast stones at other peoples decisions. I even believe if you do make fun of other people for their personal decisions (and a boat is right up there with a wife or where you are going to live) you may have a small problem with your own life.

Doctor Pigslo
Licensed by the swine institute for over 1 fortnight.
Old 11-06-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I'm guessing most of those men don't post her measurements on the internet, and then ask everyone if they think she is hot??
Old 11-06-2006

I have always said that a truly gorgeous woman (or boat) is known by that by all both male and female. Anyone less than that becomes more and more subjective as the beauty scale tips. Deep down inside we all know where we stand on that scale within a reasonable range. McGregor owners love their boats, but deep down inside they know what they have.

That is all the philosopy I can handle for now, I have just given too much to you guys for today. I need to go barf.

Professor pigslo
Proudly spouting his dogma for over 1 fortnight.
remember, if god had not intended pigs to be eaten, they would not have meat on those handy little sticks (known as ribs for you Aggies)
Old 11-06-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Go figure, we start out on a McGregor, and end up on pig philosopy!! Who would have thought.
Old 11-06-2006

someone finally gets the point
Old 11-07-2006
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
I have met three different Mac 26 owners out using their boats. All three loved them. Only one was a beginner. The other two had owned various other "normal" sailboats for years. To paraphrase them both they used the Mac 26 more than any other boat they previously owned - which meant they were out more often enjoying life on the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 11-08-2006
Thanks Courtney.

Now I'm curious! Why would you use your boat more simple because it is a "Mac"??? Due to seaworthiness issues I would think there would be fewer days you could use it????