Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Thank you Giuletta.

As said previously in this thread, something on the water is better than nothing on the water. I believe the old saying is "Bound is boatless man".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2006

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
The 1st sailboat I owned was a Mac26X back in 2000. Had for 2 years before trading in for a new Hunter 326. You can say I cut my sailing teeth on the Mac26X. A great boat to start learning to sail. It doesn't sail very well but what the heck, it still sail. What I like about it is, 1)can drive up to beach and dry out 2)sail where no keelboat dare to go, (this was a mistake, I didn't realise I was in a very shallow bank and was wonder why all my friends stayed so far out there, now I know why they were waving frantically at me), 3)power engine to run back to homebase, 4)roomy for a 26footer 5)proper toilet 6)lots of upgrade/addons potential (read spartan). What I dislike about Mac26X a)can't point well b)60HP engine drinks too much, 15HP might be better c)alittle tender d)take effort to drive into slip/mooring or trailor when wind blowing in wrong direction.
Old 12-15-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Capt. Kermie -

I just read all 9 pages of this thread. You should do the same. Jon asked for our opinions of the Mac26X/M. He asked how it compares with other sailboats. He asked for no "flames." In the first few pages, people did just what he asked. They compared different boats, described the Mac's construction, and gave their opinions in a reasonably dispassionate manner. Iíve seen other discussions of the Mac, and the comments werenít nearly so restrained as in this thread. In short, they respected his request that they not flame the boat. I suspect they sensed that Jon is a young man, and were being as diplomatic as possible, because nobody wants to insult a young person or hurt his feelings. But, when a person asks our opinions on this forum, he deserves our honest opinions. We did make fair and truthful comments about the boat. If Jon didn't want to know our opinions, he shouldn't have asked.

After awhile, Jon started to get defensive and argumentative, and a little insulting. At that point, not surprisingly, the participants started to become a little more blunt. Then you started to talk about personalities, rather than about boats.

The people on this forum love to sail. They eat, drink, talk about and dream about sailing. They study sailing and everything about sailboats, including their design, construction, and behavior in all kinds of conditions. They value a boat that sails well and that can be trusted with the safety of themselves and their families, and have contempt for a boat that doesnít and canít. Many of us have been caught out in severe conditions, and know how easily even a well-designed boat can be overwhelmed by wind and waves. Unless you want us to lie, what opinion would you expect from a group of knowledgeable sailors, with regard to a boat whoís design compromises itís sailing ability to such an extent as the Mac?
If you own a Mac26X/M, why would you jump into a conversation about them on a website where you know, or should know, that they arenít well-respected? Did you think you could dissuade well-informed, experienced people from their strongly held opinions?

You seem like a nice enough fellow, and are certainly welcome to join in our discussions about sailboats and sailing, but it would probably show better judgment on your part to stay out of discussions about the Mac, because you are likely to hear things you donít want to hear.
Old 12-15-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Please, just for once, get in the shoes of a mac owner, how sad would you feel if someone came here bashing your beloved boat??
Giu, I absolutely agree with that, and I don't like to see people gratuitously denigrating other peoples' boats. But this wasn't a case of people saying things just to be hurtful. We were asked our opinions about the boat, and I thought people were being fair and factual. The person who asked was not an owner of a Mac 26X. He was a young person who was intrigued by it's compromises, and he wanted to know what we thought of it. He deserved our reasoned opinions. Any Mac owner who saw the title of the thread should have sensed that it probably wouldn't be a Mac love-fest.
Old 12-15-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Kermit,

"On edit, something else comes to mind. The mac only weighs 2550 lbs (advertised) so how strong of rigging is required? I see six lug nuts holding the wheels onto my Trailblazer yet I only see four lug nuts on a small car wheels, everything is relative."

Yes, it is relative but the analogy doesn't work well.. The rigging has to be stong enough to handle the conditions at hand. I don't know many people that would take a Sunfish out in 20kts winds, but that regularly happens on a mac. (oh, I'm not saying a sunfish has the same or stronger rigging, I'm using the size anaolgy)

I agree, it is lightly built, heels excessively & pitches too much, but I have gotten used to it and understand the limitations. I may not like the limitations and spelled them out earlier but I have learned to deal with them and they are influencing my next boat purchase decision.

Its obvious to me that you've had some sailing/boating experience before the Mac, and I commend you on knowing the limitations. As stated before however, the boat is marketed to first-timers and newer buyers to the boating public. Imagine if you will (can't you just hear Rod Serling?) laying out 10k for one, buying a couple of Mae Wests dropping the boat in the water, rigging and motoring out into the middle of the lake, raising sails, and having it heel over 25-30 degree's in 20kt winds without having any experience? I don't know about you, but thats not what makes a boater safe. Thats not what makes a new boater feel too good. Thats not condusive to getting the Cuban to want to go out on it again. It does make the endorphins raise just a bit....

"The boat hull you deflected at will, was it an X or newer M? I have heard owners mention that the hull is so thin in places that light penetrates the hull."

One "C", 2 "X's" and one "M"

Look, the boats serve a purpose, The boat you have won't kill you, Ralph Nadar isn't going to make you buy a liferaft. You have fun on it, and it works for you. Please note however, that they aren't for everyone, the same way a Hylas has its detracters as well.

That being said, the way these things are marketed just bothers me somewhat. The "Oh, honey lookie here, we can do both, sail, and ski, all in one fell swoop" works until Honey has her thong sucked up her butt by a 20kt gust.

Many people on here have decades of experience on everthing from Sea-Rays to Lasers, to Sunfish to Hobies to Tayanas, Valiants, Nauticats, (jeez, I know I left somebody out.) So this is a liitle food for thought. Before you get your wanker in a twist, consider that you may be viewed as a Chevy Vega owner talking tech to Roger Penske.

Now, I have to sign off to jump on the "squirrel cage o'death" cardiac stress machine run by lesbian nazi's, then the Cuban and I will be sailing this afternoon.

life don't suck.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 12-15-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
The boat I own is 36 feet and weighs 9 tons, built in 1977. I am not saying that it is heavy but when I hit the dockI am not concerned about scratching the bow but taking out the dock. That hapens to be the boat I chose 8 years ago very nearly today. My first year at the dock I was about to board my boat when accross the dock was a brand new Mac about to leave on her maiden voyage. The excitment in pappas eyes as he steadied the engine and slowly backed out of the slip. His two little girls were moving up and down the rail holding outstreched fenders between the boat and the dock. He rebuffed my offer to help with his limey accent saying he needed to learn how by himself as next time there may not be anyone to help. Eight years later that family still owns their boat and enjoys her on a regular basis. Not one person on the dock that has one side filled with 30 to 45 footers and the oposite filled with 22 to 32 footers has ever told him a word about the quality of his boat. We are all sailors on that dock (except for J**** that never leaves the dock.
pigslo
Old 12-15-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
To the posters on this thread:

Ok, now that I have your attention let me just say that it appears to some that I have said too much too abruptly. It was not my intention to offend anyone or be abrasive and you have my sincere apologies for doing so.
I only stumbled onto this site recently while researching the purchase of my next boat and Google linked me here. For the first many visits I only lurked searching for buyers data and was amazed at the plethora of articles, data & advice here. I was quite impressed with the level of experience contributors here had and hoped to learn from some of those whom Sailaway21 refers to as “big boys” a term that I would not use figuratively on myself. For the most part most of you are what I’d expect of a fellow sailor and as Sailormon6 commented I am a nice enough fellow too. If you met me in person would find me quite affable.
This particular Mac thread had not come to my attention until I started browsing further and as I started reading from page one to the end Sailormon6 I noticed the thread was slowly degrading into a Mac Bash, so being a proud owner I felt it dutiful to defend the Mac. At a point where Jones2r & Raymetz implied I should take a hike (“go to powernet” & “So please start a MacGregor forum and send us the link so we can forward people when they mention it.”) I over-reacted a bit and got my back up, hence the addressing of personalities Sailormon6. I suppose I took the two comments personally when maybe I should not have, but many of the comments I encounter here are quite spurious and offensive. Now Sailormon6 it is not my intention to dissuade well-informed experienced people from their strongly held opinions. My intention was to enlighten a few biased minds and encourage constructive substantiated critique.
Sailaway21:
I had to laugh at your perception of me as it does not occur to me how I am coming across while engrossed with typing a rebuttal, but in hindsight I can see through your eyes. I am not crying or mewing as you put it, funny as it sounds and perhaps I am not the only one you should tell to grow up. Some of the “rough & tumble” as you put it, commentary here is uncalled for and unnecessary and those who write it should proof it before submitting it. I can take ribald jokes as well as the next person but when the discussion denigrates down to being compared to being GAY, which by the way was deleted it tends to get tempers flared and then the rest seems worse than it was. As for my Seattle remark, it was inappropriate and I apologize for it, even though it was ambiguous and I could say you are reading into something that isn’t there, I won’t, 4 wheel-drive & wings was just too sarcastic and I reacted like a juvenile. Now Sailaway21, I have no argument with you and my Seattle remark is not directed at you, but if you feel you still need to “vibration test my side-light bulbs” for what ever reason….??? Niftys is fine.
Now, back to the Mac,
I am not trying to sell you guys on the boat, I’d just like you to bury the hatchets and hear both sides. These little boats are not for you “big boys” but at least give a smidgin of credit where credit is due. These little boats cross the Georgia Strait and cruise the San Juans & Gulf Islands with ease, they get folks out on the water and whether you want to believe it or not we do learn the basics of sailing and boating on them. After a few years people like me outgrow them and start looking for a replacement and if one of you more sarcastic posters has one for sale I would not purchase from you with that attitude nor would anyone else so what have you to gain. We all have read the boats shortcomings here and I am personally acutely aware, but don’t under-estimate the little boats they are more substantial than they get credit for here. Ironically on those heavier wind days when I am dock bound wishing I had a bigger heavier boat I notice the “big boys” are also dock bound and have no desire to venture out, and when they do test the water with their little pinky and decide it is safe to go out, I can also go out. For the most part the islands out there are fairly protected and ideally suited for the Mac, it is only that first 12 mile stretch across the Strait we have to watch for (big boys too) and with prevailing NW winds whipping down the straight uninterrupted for 40 miles one does not go bouncing out there without getting trounced.. So yes the Mac is restricted to picking a weather window but so are the “big boys”. For such a frail little boat it is very capable.
That is all folks, and perhaps this should be my last visit to this thread, there is another one that piques my interest right now, the one about derelict live-aboards, very interesting, we have that problem here.
I will be on better behavior now and stop crying.
Sincerely,
Terry
On edit- forgot to mention it earlier but for what it's worth Florida Mac owners take group cruises in the Mac's to Bimini, Tortugas and the Bahamas regularly.

Last edited by CaptKermie; 12-15-2006 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2006

SlimChestnut is on a distinguished road
Not many mentions of the extreme shallow draft capabilities for launching and mooring this boat. I have land on a canal on the Gulf and the Winter low tides are just over 1 foot so the mac is one of the very few that can be in the water and quickly motored out to the bay, balasted and sailed.

Does anyone take advantage of the shallow draft. I for one do not like paying slip fees and much prefer my own dock. We have a 26M-D

When you do not have much water depth it is ridiculous to consider the deeper keel boats for simple, family outings.

Slim
Old 12-15-2006

eric3a is on a distinguished road
Hi All;
I am a pure sailor with years of experience. My sailing resume would fill in a few pages so quick overview: Started by winning my first race at 8. My parents have a film of me sailing our tender at age 3. Been round the world, Cape Horn, Cape of Good Hope. Antarctica.
I was a boat tester for a major boat maker, winning races so they could take ads in the maritime papers to brag about their latest baby. I'd make pocket money conveying boats, captained ultra luxury yacht/charter ship.
Later became the youngest full licensed Captain (unlimited) and Chief Engineer (also unlimited) of my class and sailed commercially for 10 years.
To date I am still involved in maritime safety, and have advised at IMO.
But better than that: When it's windy I'm on the water every day!

A few days ago I bought a 26X.

I haven't sailed it yet, but I pretty much know what I'm getting into and don't expect miracles on that front.

Why did I buy it?

1) Shallow draft:
a)Just looking at Charts of the places I want to go it's clear that any boat with more than 2 feet will be severely restricted.
So I want 1 foot draft all up.
There are many bays like that where if you take a red pen and exclude all the areas below 2 feet, you take out 1/3 to 1/2 of the potential sailing area and basically all the nice anchoring spots. I would hate having to anchor with all the other boats.
b)My whole bay in front of my house is about 2 feet deep. I know from experience a boat in front of your house is a boat you use a lot more than one at a marina. I previously had an AMF2100 for its shallow draft also and I would sail every night with my wife. Beats watching TV!

2) Price:
Second hand it's a really cheap boat that I can just pay cash for it and be done. I realize the compromises done to achieve the price. I am upgrading a number of things on the rigging. Even with another couple grand on various bits and pieces it's still a cheap boat. For the bay sailing I want to do it should be more than OK.
I don't know of any other boat that gives me what I want for even close to the price.

3) Cabin:
I dont' need one but I won't mind having one and I know my wife will enjoy having something better than a tent on a trampoline or cramped accommodations on other shallow drafted boats within the price range. If having an enclosed toilet is what it takes to make my wife even more enthusiastic about going on the boat, so be it. Due to it's ugly shape the boat has a large cabin. It'll be nice to be able to put my pants on without doing some morning contortions. I'm getting a little old for that @#$%
Full enclosed cockpit and good confort at anchor. No more mosquitoes!

4)Motor:
My bay is enclosed, and access to the main bay is about 2 miles upwind the predominant wind. Only expensive multihulls can get a decent VMG to get me out into the main bay and satisfy the shallow 1 foot draft requirement. No monohull under sail would make it fast -or at all- with board up.
Mine has a light 2 stroke 50hp. I would have preferred a smaller and lighter motor sufficient to get me out of the bay but heck it's on so I'm sure I'll enjoy put-putting at 10 knots when the wind dies or I just don't feel like it. Like take my wife out to a waterfront restaurant after work or something like that. Then sail back home. Big deal if it costs me a few bucks on gas, I don't pay marina fees.

5) Been there. Done that.
I love the posts from the "It's no good in 30 knots wind". I have a marina right next to me at the end of the bay and can assure you that over the last year I have NEVER seen one sailboat with sails up in high winds coming down the channel. I know because I work from home and I am out there sailing my windsurf every day it's possible.
I fully intend to rig my boat and get the sails needed to be safe in the upper ranges of cruising condition winds. I am talking about bay sailing here so a competent sailor and a decently prepared boat will be fine.
If I want to go offshore again, I'll get an offshore boat.

If I want to zoom at crazy speeds, I'll get on my Hobie Cat or my windsurfs.

For the bays and estuaries the 26X is a good compromise.

I bought a boat for what I want to do with it and where I will do it.
It's ugly and I know it. Big deal. ;D

If you have another sailboat that satisfies my requirements above for $15,000, please tell me and I might even buy it off you.

To recap:
Sailboat. 1 foot draft. Large cabin with enclosed toilet for the wifie. Full cockpit enclosure for me. 7 or 8 knots min on engine. 15,000 US dollars. Offers?
Eric
Old 12-15-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Eric...Welcome and great first post! Sounds like you've got the perfect boat for your situation...enjoy it!!