Boat with serious acne - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter

Boat with serious acne

I'm looking at a pocket cruiser that has a significantly blistered hull.

I don't know much about boat repair, but from what I've gleaned from my internet search, blisters are rarely a structural problem.

I'm not really clear how concerned I should be. It's a 23' pocket cruiser with hundreds of small (mostly dime sized) blisters. They're everywhere below the water line, esp. on the keel.

I will be keeping the boat in the water in FL, so a good bottom paint job is essentially.

I can't imagine having to drill out every single blister, wait for them to dry, fill each individually, then paint - there just seem to be too many for that to be practical.

The seller said that his boatyard told him to just sand it and paint it. They aren't structural. I would think that when you sand the bottom that all of the blisters are going to pop and you will have a cavity that needs to be filled. And that this will most likely be the case every time the bottom gets sanded.

I like the boat otherwise, and I would have bought it on the spot if not for the bottom.

Any advise would be appreciated.

If I can figure out how to post pics I will.
norsearayder likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-16-2016
░░░░░░░░░░

Re: Boat with serious acne

What it probably needs is to have the bottom stripped and refinished with a barrier coat and that's not cheap. Structural? Maybe not, but they can't be ignored because they do weaken the hull. Filling and repairing hundreds of them just means there and hundreds more ready to form, and stripping and refinishing is the only thing that is going to cure that.

Thank the nice man, tell him you'll be back in a half hour with all of your money. Then run away. He knows what's up, he's trying to sucker you.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-16-2016
Freedom Chip Counter

I had the same question about a year ago!

To worry or not to worry… blisters? (photos)

Folks provided some pretty good links and info within that thread.

Most of mine were just barnacle "foot prints", but there were a handful of blisters too. The blisters were easy....scraping through 46 years of bottom paint was another story!

Wear goggles when opening them up....some can be under pressure. "Baking" it on the hard for a month or two in the Florida Sun will help dry things out. Most blisters aren't a big deal....some go a little deeper and will delaminate larger areas of the gel coat....some may go even deeper and delaminate several layers of fiberglass.....if there are too many of those, it will mean a lot of grinding and laying up new fiberglass.....not the end of the world, just a lot of work.

Very tough to tell until you let it sit on the hard and start digging!

Try to shine a bright light through the hull from the outside while viewing in relative darkness from the inside. If the hull has many small "bubbles" (looks almost like looking at a glass of soda) then the hull may just be a bad layup.....everyone is entitled to off days....as you'll learn, sometimes its also a bad mix or new formula epoxy used at the time.

Let me know if you need a hand....I'm near West Palm and would love to help if you are close.

Best wishes,
doo

S/V Little Tortuga - 1969 Pearson Wanderer 30

post #4 of 31 Old 03-16-2016
Old enough to know better

Well it is not that much work on a 23 foot boat (compared to a bigger boat) but if being done professionally would certainly cost way more that the boat is worth. If you are doing the work yourself it will be a lot less, but you have to have the time, and not need to use it elsewhere, and it should be you making the profit off your labors, not the seller. Sure you can just paint over them, but as hellosailor said you really need to strip the top layer of fiberglass until you get to solid laminate and build back up. You can grind them out and fill as well, very time consuming. It really depends on how deep they are and how thick the layup is, on a small boat like that I can't imagine there would be much extra thickness. If you just paint over what is there, you likely will be unable to sell it if you ever want or need to. Blisters may not be that big of a deal, they will kill most deals. Of course advertising a recent bottom job with good materials (be sure to keep all receipts and take photos along the way) can raise the value and make it sell faster.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #5 of 31 Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter

I'll see if I can get my pics to post

post #6 of 31 Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter

@ scubadoo,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm all the way up in Fernandina Beach. Nice of you to offer though.

Thanks for the input guys, and gals.

I talked to the manager of the marina where the boat is, and he said "just paint the bottom and go sailing".

I'm getting a good price on the boat, but I don't want to get stuck with a nightmare.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-16-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
@ scubadoo,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm all the way up in Fernandina Beach. Nice of you to offer though.

Thanks for the input guys, and gals.

I talked to the manager of the marina where the boat is, and he said "just paint the bottom and go sailing".

I'm getting a good price on the boat, but I don't want to get stuck with a nightmare.
As long as you are OK with paying for the boat, knowing you may not ever be able to sell, then you'll be fine. My boat I figure for what I paid I could pull off the keel and sell that for more than I paid. I doubt anyone would ever want to buy it from me unless I put a ton of money into it, but on the other hand it gets me out on the water. So I am happy and am fine with the loss.

Figure if the boat is worth $4000 and the bottom job would cost $3,000 and you pay $1,000 then your fine. But if you pay $3,000 thinking your getting a grand off and it will only cost you $600 in materials then your not getting a good deal. Keep in mind to fix or not is your choice but you should only pay the amount factoring in the cost of the repair done professionally. If the bottom job would cost more than the boat is worth (most likely scenario) you would be loosing by taking the boat for free. So my advice is to offer half what you think is fair. The blisters don't look structural, but they are pervasive so I think you would need to do a peel job.

As the boat is you would be lucky to give it away. I am not saying it is not worth anything, just that there are lots of boats out there without the pox not selling, so you are competing against boats without it once it comes time to sell.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #8 of 31 Old 03-16-2016

The hull needs to be peeled and reglassed...too much trouble and expense...walk away...tell the seller...if the phone doesn't ring...
post #9 of 31 Old 03-16-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
As long as you are OK with paying for the boat, knowing you may not ever be able to sell, then you'll be fine. My boat I figure for what I paid I could pull off the keel and sell that for more than I paid. I doubt anyone would ever want to buy it from me unless I put a ton of money into it, but on the other hand it gets me out on the water. So I am happy and am fine with the loss.

Figure if the boat is worth $4000 and the bottom job would cost $3,000 and you pay $1,000 then your fine. But if you pay $3,000 thinking your getting a grand off and it will only cost you $600 in materials then your not getting a good deal. Keep in mind to fix or not is your choice but you should only pay the amount factoring in the cost of the repair done professionally. If the bottom job would cost more than the boat is worth (most likely scenario) you would be loosing by taking the boat for free. So my advice is to offer half what you think is fair. The blisters don't look structural, but they are pervasive so I think you would need to do a peel job.

As the boat is you would be lucky to give it away. I am not saying it is not worth anything, just that there are lots of boats out there without the pox not selling, so you are competing against boats without it once it comes time to sell.
Good points all around, esp about the future resale.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-16-2016

Too many other boats out there to choose from to pick this one, sorry... but you will be happier not buying this one. Even it were free its not worth it.. well for me anyway

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.