SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bottom Paint?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  capta 
#1 ·
My boat is kept on a trailor when not in use, every season i have been using Antifoling paint. I put it on and it is not smooth, it drys rough to the touch i am wondering if i am using the wrong paint? Rust Oleum Blue Flat Boat Bottom Antifouling Paint, and Pettit Unepoxy Standard Bottom Paint. Now for this year iam going to try Blue Water Marine Paint MEGA GLOSS, now i don tknow if its the roller i am using or what.. But i do sand it and fill holes or blisters, or scrapes up before painting the bottom! and ideas

#2 ·
many who keep there boat on a trailer will not use bottom paint at all, depending on how it is used. If it is just day sailed and perhaps weekend cruised, and you pull her out afterwards then you don't need it at all, and I would clean the bottom of all paint and polish if possible. If you do leave it in the water for somewhat longer times, perhaps a hard paint that can be burnished (polished to a smooth surface) is what you need. But what ever you use, likely getting rid of all the old paint, either by scraping, sanding, chemical stripping, or soda blasting is the only way you will get a good finish. Also will help prevent any issues between different kinds of paint.

#3 ·
I was a trailer sailor for many years, never once used antifoul. Even if the boat was in the water for short while a quick hose and scrub brush would remove any slime. Couple weeks in the north Atlantic once and still no growth.
Sounds like you need to get back down to the hull, do a bit of fairing, prime then make a decision on what next. Personally being a trailered boat I would go for a 2 part poly paint finish, wet sand, compound then polish.
Fresh water? Lake Erie? I'm in Lake Ontario boats stay pretty clean over the 6 month season. Waterline scum from pollution is worse.

#4 ·
i was kinda trying to protect it from running it up on the beach, which i do all the time. i do get scraps on the bottom from rocks that i cant see . I will have to sand her down once it gets warmmer out!

#5 ·
you are sailing a Cat in a lake you do not want bottom paint as it does slow the boat down and does not keep the gelcoat from scratching . When beaching our Cat on a rocky shore we use rubber door mats under the hulls to prevent scratches

#6 ·
I would check the product data sheet on the Blue Water Marine Paint MEGA GLOSS. Some topside paints are NOT recommended for immersion, though perhaps you could get away with it on a trailer sailor.
There are very hard, high gloss bottom paints (not necessarily antifouling) used by racers that will give you a mirror finish, if that is what you seek, and have then energy to prepare the surface properly. That of course is the key. No paint will ever cover any imperfection underneath it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.