Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006

alajuelacutter is on a distinguished road
Tripp 66 Carbon Fibre Project Boat on Ebay

Posted today on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd be very hesistant to buy a $40,000 item from someone who only has 23 items as their track record on eBay, especially since the last item they sold was only a $3.00 item. The fact that the boat purchase is not subject to survey and sea trial is another point against them.

Also, the $40,000 buy-it-now price seems pretty low for a 66' racing boat that is made with carbon fiber/CoreCell/Epoxy layup—which is considerably more expensive than fiberglass.

I seem to remember the Tripp 66 Carbon Fiber Boat on eBay previously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-03-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
It's just the hull, some materials and the mold. The pictures are of a completed sistership. On top of that, the hull has taken some light damage, but anything to carbon fiber is expensive...

She was on eBay a few months back I believe.
Old 11-03-2006

opsguyjc is on a distinguished road
The auction is for the hull and mould only, not a completed boat. It would be a steal if it was complete though.
Old 11-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Even though it is only a hull and mould, it is still rather low a price. The real worry though is the seller only has 23 transactions on eBay and the most recent one was only for $3.00. This is very typical of fraudulent auctions on eBay, where a seller will all of a sudden be selling a high-ticket item after selling mainly very inexpensive items. I'm not saying that this is a fraudulent auction, but it has some indicators that should be warning signs.

The photos are a bit misleading, as they are of a completed boat, not a hull, mold and pile of carbon fiber cloth and epoxy resin. If the seller were on the up and up, I think they would have posted photos of the actual item that is up for sale... the photos that are being used could be from the internet, so the seller may not actually have anything at all for sale.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-03-2006

alajuelacutter is on a distinguished road
The boat is on the hard in St. Catherines and anyone interested is welcome to inspect and survey before the auction ends, not after. While they are doing that they are also welcome to deal with any questions regarding credibility etc. The carbon in storage alone has a replacement value of over USD $60,000.00. The 23 items on the ebay record include the entire range of Bayfield tooling (except for the 40 ) which I sold to a gentleman in Estonia in 2004. Fell free to ask, it's a real project and I'm a real person.

Last edited by alajuelacutter; 11-03-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2006
Telstar 28

If this is your eBay auction, I think this thread is actually against the terms of service for Sailnet. Also, technically, it isn't a boat...it is just a boat hull.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-03-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
This guy has been starting threads advertising his ebay auction for the Tripp since June. At the very least, they are posted in the wrong forum.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 11-04-2006 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2006
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Besides, maybe it fell off a trailer or something.
Old 11-04-2006
Telstar 28

Actually, if you look, all of his posts are related to his eBay auctions. That's pretty pathetic, and probably against the terms of service for Sailnet—since posting a link to his own auction is probably considered a commercial link. Granted it is sailing related SPAM, but it is still SPAM.

Telstar 28
New England