Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006

kmclarke is on a distinguished road
Is it wise to buy a boat that you don't love??

My wife and sons I went down to LA and San Diego to look at boats, we got aboard quite a number of boats . What we learned is what we don't want , the only boat we saw that really struck us as being right for us was a pearson 422. We did look at three kelly Peterson 44's , the general design was OK but the boat never really struck us as "the one" however it has most of our requirements with the least amount of compromises. Neither my wife or I am thrilled about the boat. We do recognize that it will fit most of our needs and we don't hate it ( actually I like it) we realize that it will not be our last boat and it will serve us properly.

Is it wise to buy a boat that you don't love but will do what you need it to ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
I am not even going to try and touch this one...

Anyone else feel up to it?
Old 11-05-2006

cassycc36 is on a distinguished road
That is a great question! Sorta ran into the same thing with a Pearson 32 that is in great shape and in the price range. But, enhh . . .

If you have the $$ I say hold out. I am curious to what the wizened will say though.
Old 11-05-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Love isn't always at first sight. Sounds like your appreciation of the boat is quite rational and might be more enduring than an appreciation based solely on emotion. Sail one than see how you feel. It might bring you closer or might turn you off the thing entirely. Look at it from different angles or google the heck out of it and read every related article and post and look at every picture. It suits your needs and it just might grow on you!

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Generally, no. That said, you might want to spend some time with the boat and see if she grows on you. As yotphix said, it might bring you closer or turn you off entirely...either way it will make your decision easier. Having a boat you don't love makes using it and sailing it a bit tougher.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-05-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Ya gotta love your boat. There is too much work to be done on a boat and if you don't love her you'll resent every minute. KMC when you find THE BOAT you'll know and all work will be a labour of love.
Old 11-05-2006

JakeLevi is on a distinguished road
It depends on the boat, like with people. Two people that I love the most right now I could barely stand when I first met them. Tough, opinionated, cantankerous, mirror images of me. It took several years, but now I value them above all others. This boat could be similar, it may take time to appreciate her.

If you can sail on this boat try it, or other models of the same. Its good that you are finding out what you dont want, you're way ahead of others that I have seen. Meanwhile google all you can on her. I am in a similar position right now, looked at a number of boats, gradually narrowing them down, I know some things I do want and some I dont, that helps.

How does your family feel about her?
Old 11-05-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
You gota love it. We almost purchased a Person 30. It was in immaculate condition and a great boat but when we looked at the Tartan...we simply loved it...and still do! Good luck with your dilemma
Old 11-05-2006

naysmitj is on a distinguished road
Been there done that...started looking for our next boat shortly after taking possession. Moved to our current boat within the same year.
Not that I am saying this will happen to you …….
Old 11-05-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
when reality strikes ... another vote for practical

I "love" my husband and the liveaboard/cruising/sailing lifestyle. I "like" the boat that gets me there. So maybe its just semantics but no, I don't think you have to "love" your boat and it's okay to buy one that's merely "right."

The boat I'd most "love" is so grotesequely (sp?) out of my price range that buying it would make the rest of the dream impossible. Sometimes you have to settle - pick the features that matter most (you said the boat will meet your needs) and compromise on the rest if necessary. Humans are pretty adaptable creatures and when your boat is away from the sensory overload of all the other features on the surrounding boats you may see it differently.

If nothing else, you said this isn't your forever boat so if you don't "love" it just learn a lot and it'll be easier to part with when the time comes.

Last edited by eryka; 11-05-2006 at 10:55 AM.