Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I used to be a private pilot. Even though my instructors beat into me the concept of using a pre-flight checklist, I figured that eventually I would forgo it. (I was young and stupid at the time). Then I flew with an older buddy of mine who had several tours in Vietnam flying F-4's, then spent time in Iraq (Shah era) teaching the Iranian's how to fly F-14's for Gruman. He ALWAYS used a check list. Every flight, no matter how far, VFH or IFH. I gained a whole new respect for the idea of checklists.

Having said that, I don't have one for the boat, but I'm working on it. My wife is a list type of person, I'm not. However, with other family on the boat, a checklist seems like a very good idea.

I'll also admit to being distracted one day with my C36 and leaving the marina without opening the engine intake. Now I keep the ignition key looped over the intake seacock. I can't grab the ignition key without at least touching the water intake.
Hiya Dhays,
I agree it sounds much safer to have a list. I have a list for if we have to start the epirb and get in the life raft. I am forgetful as much as anyone and have headed off without the instruments on and no plotter in, but fixed tht up once out of the marina.

My question was simply -"Does one need a list to drive a car?" You have set up a system - ignition key near engine intake. This is much smarter in my book.
cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2011
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
I have used some sort of check list all of my professional life. The military used one, we called it a "to do list" since every item was a challenge/response with the appropriate flicking of the switch. It covered everything however it was a pain in the butt and freakin slow. Then I went to the airlines with a whole new attitude. They called it a "flow" which was to be memorized in it's entirety. The pilot flying would call for a check list such as "before taxi checklist" (at this point that was the captain) and the FO would say "before taxi checklist" and would do everything in order from memory THEN he would pull out THE checklist and verify all was done. This greatly speeded up the process without compromising safety.
I think some sort of check list is a good idea, not too comprehensive and should be used as a flow. Do the items then pull out the checklist to verify. Modify it to you, your boat and different conditions. Just something to cover the high points such as "Install bungs BEFORE backing boat into the water". You will be surprised on how easy it is to be distracted.

Jerry

A Kings Trade
Dewey Lamdin

Money canít buy you happiness.
But it buys you a big enough yacht to
sail you right up to it!
(Johnny Depp)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jerryrlitton; 06-26-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook