Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2006

sealeaf is on a distinguished road
coronado keel bolts

Hi all (my 1st post !)

My wife and I are over from the UK, bought a coronda 45, with a fair bit of work on it, got good advice off Darrell Powell Ford from this site! saved me a bit of hard earned cash, so many thanks Darrell

Now got to do some keel bolt work, bolts badly corroded and the rear 3ft of the keel has cracked and dropped down about 1/4 inch.
my plan is to find a yard in san diego where I can put the boat on the hard for a couple of weeks whilst I try to extract the bolts!
Any one done this type of work?
Am I likely to snap the studs, or do I stand a good chance with a decent stud extractor,
The manual which came with the boat says the keels is bonded on and as 3/4 of the keel joint looks good I would rather not try and part !

Any advice will be seriously appreciated !!!!!!! steve.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A few questions you need to get answers to before proceeding.

1) How do the rest of the keel bolts look?

2) What are the keel bolts made of?

3) How do the keel bolts attach to the keel?

Once you've got the answers to those questions, you'll have a much better idea of how to proceed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-06-2006

Thanks for your reply sailing dog!
There are 10 iron threaded studs screwed into the keel, may have been galvanised originally, ? but a mass of rust now, have taken a couple of nuts off the studs and fitted new,threads ok where protected by the nut , with the weight of the boat sat on the keel could probably fit new nuts and tighten up, but am worried that the studs in the area of the crack will be corroded at keel level ,although no water is coming up the studs into the boat! thks+regard steve
Old 11-06-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Are the studs screwed into the keel or are they bolts cast into the keel. If they are screwed into the keel, it might be worth trying to remove them and replace them with galvanized steel studs. However, if they are bolts cast into the keel, then replacing them is a true nightmare, and it may be more worthwhile to try and add additional bolts to take the load, especially if the existing studs are questionable.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-06-2006

Definitely not cast, so must be screwed in,will go with extracting them, might get lucky!!!

Thanks for imput sailing dog!
steve
Old 11-07-2006
Telstar 28

Good luck Sealeaf... Keelbolts can be a tough problem.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-07-2006
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Sealeaf (or sailing dog) barring the obvious, such as bolts turning or info from builder, how could you tell without removing the nuts and dropping the keel whether they were cast or screwed in?
Old 11-07-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
The only way to do it would be by X-ray.

The problem is obviously the lead.
It's impractical in most cases because of the level of radiation needed to penetrate the lead. Further you obviouly can't have any people or living creatures downstream of the source.
Old 11-07-2006

Keel is cast iron, I have the original coronado owners manual which says ..keel bolts are wrapped in caulking cotton and ..Nauti_calk is applied to the bolts on the inside of the of the hull,the nuts are then tightened down with a 16 inch leaver!! .
Theory says they should come out!! it also says the keel is bonded on with high strength epoxy, should be interesting !!! thanks guys
steve
Old 11-07-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I really think you want to get the keel seperate from the boat so that you can work on them properly. I have no experience seperating a keel that has been expoxied on, could be a problem.

If they are carbon steel I suspect that a good portion of the bolt has corroded away. I just repalced C.S. nuts on the 22 year old boat that I purchased this year. It was a salt water boat and the previuos owner obvioulsy had salt water sloshing around in the bildge. The nuts had lost atleast 70% of their mass.

Your best outcome would likely be to have them back out so that you could clean up the threads and insert new. Failing that you might borrow or hire a machining company to drill and tap new holes.

Good Luck
Gary