Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006

salrkcj is on a distinguished road
How/where can you get CNG ???

I guess it was the thing when my boat was built but I cannot find CNG (compressed natural gas) vendor. At my last marina in NJ there was delievry by UPS but cannot find anyone who knows a darned thing as to where I can purchase or refill. HELP!
Livaboard in DC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
CNG's major failing is the very low availability. Although it is a far safer fuel, as it is primarily methane and as such lighter than air, it is also very hard to find. So not many people sell the equipment...since no one has the equipment, no one sells the gas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-07-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
CNG's major failing is the very low availability. Although it is a far safer fuel, as it is primarily methane and as such lighter than air, it is also very hard to find. So not many people sell the equipment...since no one has the equipment, no one sells the gas.
You'll find your local CNG dealer between your local Edsel showroom and Betamax video shop.

It's good isn't it ? Metho stoves are rubbish, LPG is lighter than air and bloody dangerous and the efficient safe alternative can't be bought for love or money. (Hmm Metho ??. Don't know how to translate that into USAian I'm afraid.)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-07-2006

Valdare is on a distinguished road
I get mine filled at a local Meijer's store gas station. They have CNG for autos. There are a number of them here in Michigan. At the airport one of the parking companies use it in their vans. I went on line and found a number of different places to get it. Cost me about 22 cents to fill my tanks.

Good Luck

John
Old 11-07-2006

catamount is on a distinguished road
Corp Brothers has a list of marine CNG Exchange Dealers from around the country here: http://www.corpbrothers.com/marine.htm

It's not clear how up to date the list is, but I _have_ exchanged CNG cylinders within the last year at Bert Jabins Yacth Yard in Annapolis and Great Bay Marine in Newington, New Hampshire, and others I know have done the exchange at Robinhood Marine inGeorgetown, Maine.
Old 11-07-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw
You'll find your local CNG dealer between your local Edsel showroom and Betamax video shop.

It's good isn't it ? Metho stoves are rubbish, LPG is lighter than air and bloody dangerous and the efficient safe alternative can't be bought for love or money. (Hmm Metho ??. Don't know how to translate that into USAian I'm afraid.)
Actually, LPG, which is primarily propane, with a bit of butane possibly mixed in is denser than air, not lighter. That is the major advantage of CNG, which is primarily methane, which is lighter than air. Might want to review your basic chemistry.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-07-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Actually, LPG, which is primarily propane, with a bit of butane possibly mixed in is denser than air, not lighter. That is the major advantage of CNG, which is primarily methane, which is lighter than air. Might want to review your basic chemistry.

Whoops ! Dead right SD, slip of the old keyboard.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-08-2006
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Cool

I have CNG on my boat. It's a superior fuel, less volatility. You can get tanks in Galesville, MD on West River off the Chesapeake Bay at Hartge Yacht Yard. It was one of those things where the standard became propane instead of CNG. Sort of like MS Windows not ncessarily the best standard.
Old 11-08-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
Your profile doesn't show where you are located, but you might try contacting any warehouses near you that would be likely to have forklifts. Many of them are powered by CNG because it is safer than LPG. As noted above, CNG leaks would tend to rise and dissipate, unlike LPG's tendency to sink and pool into potenially explosive pockets. If the warehouse won't sell you some of theirs, they at least might be able to point you to their supplier.
Old 04-01-2010

bbwklm is on a distinguished road
Does anyone who has coverted from cng to propane have cng tanks for sale I would like 2 more tank for extended sail in the Caribbean