Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
What's "rep power"? How does it go down?

I assume it's some kind of rating as to whether your posts/answers are useful and knowledgeable?

I recall mine was "2", now it shows as zero. What'd I do, say something stupid? ;-)

Last edited by nolatom; 11-07-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Don't feel bad... I think mine has gone into negative numbers since I started writing the Chronicles of Cruising! HAHA!
Old 11-07-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
I think it is a function of three things: when you first registered as a user; how many posts you make; and whether or not you get "votes" up or down from other users. I say this because I originally registered in December 2002 and when the site was going downhill I stopped posting for quite awhile. When I found that the site had been revitalized I started posting again and I went from "1" to "2" after posting 50 times, then went quickly to "four" after getting an "attaboy" from another user. I have heard that you can also rate someone negatively.

My theory about when you registered affecting your rep power is based on my own experience and some other newer users, like Sailingdog. He's a prolific poster--over 2,800 posts--and is more knowledgeable than I am on many topics, yet his rep power is only three, compared to my four. I have to believe that it is because he is a relatively new user, having registered in March 2006.

That's my theory. Jeff the Administrator might want to weigh in since he knows the whole story.
Old 11-07-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
my take

for what it's worth, it can be a kind of a mutual admiration society, and whether people find value (and whether they know to vote your post) or not. in the upper right hand corner is a scale, you click on it and you vote approve, disapprove on the post..pretty simple. a place like "fight club" could probably destroy your rep points if you are controversial..or if you are a constant poster that actually says something, you can build points quickly.
if you are a "get a survey".."don't buy a benehuntalina" , type of poster, i doubt you'll build rep points very quickly, if at all.
flamers never last long enough(or care about their rep anyway) to matter..and as always personalities and egos can dictate points...i see some people w/ low point totals that are highly knowlegable..and others that are pretty pompous w/ higher totals..go figure....
(i wonder what's gonna happen to my rep now.... aww geez )

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 11-07-2006
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Documentation on "reputation" is here... http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ons_reputation
Old 11-07-2006
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt
Documentation on "reputation" is here... http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...ons_reputation
thanks labatt...
uhm..i wish i could say that cleared it up for me..but..i still have no idea what any of that means..i do know if it's tuesday, this must be belgium...
Old 11-07-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctuarysam
thanks labatt...
uhm..i wish i could say that cleared it up for me..but..i still have no idea what any of that means..i do know if it's tuesday, this must be belgium...
Me neither--either it's a glitch, or I committed some sin of which I'm unaware. No big deal, I just wondered why I got busted down to Seaman Recruit ;-)