Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, loose-footed sails are easier to reef and tension with the outhaul, since there is less friction in the system—the boltrope adds significant friction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2006

snider is on a distinguished road
I'm all for a loose footed main!

I'm all for a loose footed main, the only disadvantage I see is if you have mid boom sheeting and a loose footed main, you need to be careful when gybing. You have a good potential of breaking the boom if you bring it over two hard.
Old 11-16-2006

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
loose footed Main

Forgive my ignorance around this subject matter, but when reefing, can you just use the cheek blocks and system that already exists on the boom...basically just the same old drill as with a bolt-rope main? I have heard two arguments (one for and one against) concerning lashing the reef lines around the boom. Never done this, but know a few who have. How would this create more stress on the maine vursus using the blocks and outhauls? HELP!
Old 11-16-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The individual reef ties along the new "foot" are intended only to gather up the excess reefed canvas and should not, IMO, be tied in tight to the boom. This puts tremendous stress on those lightweight cringles and can cause a tear (especially when they are tied in in advance, before hoisting the sail).

We spent 20+ years sailing in a predominantly heavy air region so reefing was commonplace - we generally just stretched the outhaul(reef clew) and let the excess sail hang. On some boats this may create a problem so you may want to gather it up with the ties, but do so loosely.

Using the existing reefing blocks/lines will work fine.
Old 11-16-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
The individual reef ties along the new "foot" are intended only to gather up the excess reefed canvas and should not, IMO, be tied in tight to the boom. This puts tremendous stress on those lightweight cringles and can cause a tear
Gotcha! Thanks Faster...makes perfect sense!
Old 11-16-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeissinger
This reply is for Scurvy, who had asked if anyone had used FX Sails. I have, and have been very pleased with the results. The workmanship is first rate, the price was good, and the boat sails better.
Just wanted to thank you too for your information on this company...seems to be a commonality in the reviews of the service and the quality of the product. Will definitely look into this next spring. Prices are better now...but the cash flow is a wee bit on the shallow side!
Old 11-16-2006

CDC2 is on a distinguished road
While everyone is talking about loose footed mains what would you rather have - a stowaway mast system or a stack pac? Pros & con?
Old 11-16-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
SD I am not sure what you mean by less friction when reefing since the foot is out of play when reefing when I create a new foot and new outhaul.
Old 11-16-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Pigslo-

Wrote that when I was tired.. should be two separate things... Easier to reef. Easier to tension as there is less friction in the system than a bolt-rope main.

The easier to reef has nothing to do with the bolt rope... for instance, I have sail ties for the reefing points wrapped around the boom...just waiting for the sail to drop...They're bright orange, so they're easy to see—so I don't try to un-reef with them still attached.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-16-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2006

LazyGuy is on a distinguished road
I somehow missed that sneider has already made my point.

A point that was raised earlier is that the entire stress is shared by the tack and the clew. That is fine if you have end of boom sheeting. If you have mid-boom sheeting, I would be cautious about placing all the stress one way on the ends and the opposite direction in the middle; particularly on a jibe.

Cheers
Dennis

Last edited by LazyGuy; 11-19-2006 at 07:31 PM.