Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006

firstafair is on a distinguished road
hot water heater

I am trying to find a propane fired hot water heater, made for marine (boat) use. I have been looking on the net with no luck. Anybody know a manufacturer. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2006

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Just a cautionary note: propane water heaters can be DEADLY on a boat. There are numerous instances of CO poisoning resulting in death from these devices.

See, e.g, the following:

Quote According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 164 CO-related non-fire deaths were attributed to heating and cooking equipment in 1994.** The specific types of equipment were:

* Gas-fueled space heaters (70 deaths)
* Gas-fueled furnaces (48 deaths)
* Charcoal grills (15 deaths)
* Gas-fueled ranges (9 deaths)
* Liquid-fueled heaters (9 deaths)
* Gas-fueled water heaters (7 deaths)
* Solid-fueled heaters (6 deaths)

Unquote

Propane is nothing to fool with on a boat. Moreover, it's unnecessary since there are other less dangerous ways to provide hot water (electric HWH, engine-heated HW, etc.).

Sorry if this sounds gratuitous, but many folks just aren't aware of the dangers of gas hot water heaters on boats.

Bill
Old 11-08-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Properly designed and installed propane heaters are fine.... but any boat that has propane powered appliances should have both CO and LPG detectors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-08-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I don't think you will find one specifically made for boats anymore. At best you might find one for an RV. There used to be a couple of outfits that made on-demand propane hot water heaters for boats but I think the liability issues drove them out of the market. I think Wolter and Polamar (or some such name?) made them at one time.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 11-09-2006

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
If you have a diesel engine, you may be better off with something like an Espar heater.

http://www.espar.com/htm/applies/marine.htm

There are other makes from Europe also, but I can't remember the name.

They are pretty neat devices and they can heat your cabin as well if you put in a radiator.
Old 11-09-2006

firstafair is on a distinguished road
I can't believe their is nothing out their that heats water for a shower other then engine exchanger, 110 volt dock side. What if I wanted to stay on the hook for a week and did not want to start the main engine every day just to take a shower???
Old 11-09-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Bill,

We have a Junkers propane hw heater onboard, as originally installed by Nauticat Yachts. It's a direct vented, bulkhead mounted unit in our galley and has been upgraded with all the ABYC safety devices. I have posted here in the past, about the benefits of this system while away from shore power and cannot say enough about how my wife and I love having unlimited, VERY hot water on demand. Our 140 gal hw tank adds to this luxury. I have no issues what-so-ever with this system.

Junkers was a German manufacturer of precision water heaters for decades, until acquired by Bosch a few years ago. Bosch used the Junkers name for a while, but I believe discontinued the name while utilizing the design. The units are very popular in Europe and are used on some high-end boats in the US. A quick Google search led me to this site, but other distributors have them as well:

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=85739F
Old 11-09-2006

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
Hi firstafair:

I think you have been shown two solutions that don't require running your engine. You simply need to choose your fuel, diesel or propane.
Old 11-09-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bosch probably still makes a similar unit to the one TrueBlue has, but under the Bosch name now.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-09-2006

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
The Wolters on-demand propane water heater was specifically designed to provide hot water on small sailboats. Gerry Wolters, the inventor, used it first on his own Catalina 22. After it became popular, he sold the company, but I believe the new owners didn't make much of a go of the business. A few years ago, Gerry formed a new company, called Precision Temp Inc., which started making them again, and also started marketing them to RV builders, which significantly enlarged the market for the device. I believe Gerry's water heater is the only device of its type on the market in this country that works well.

I used to sail with Gerry and his wife, Elaine, in those early days, and they were nice folks. You can log on to the Precision Temp website at the following hyperlink:

http://www.precisiontemp.com/

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.