Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis
What is a genoa?

roflmao

oh, you are serious?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
That was the question, if you read the OP. It is an unpenalised jib (at the time) by having unmeasured foot/ leach. It was introduced into a class regatta by a Swede who knew the rules in GENOA in the 50's. That is it's origin. WTF do you know about It?
Old 04-03-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
nothin' 'cept it makes the boat go. Always wondered about the name, thanks.
Old 04-03-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
You're welcome.
Old 04-03-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis
That was the question, if you read the OP. It is an unpenalised jib (at the time) by having unmeasured foot/ leach. It was introduced into a class regatta by a Swede who knew the rules in GENOA in the 50's. That is it's origin. WTF do you know about It?
Actually that was nevr proven, as some claims state that it was Raimondo Panario that in 1926 introduced that sail in Copenaghen..

Its one of those things where true origins are not sure...
Old 04-03-2007

Sabre66 is on a distinguished road
After you furl some of the sail in move the sheet leads forward to improve sail shape. It's a very good idea to practice this in a moderate breeze instead of waiting for panic time. Mark the track or rail, if using snatch blocks, where their forward position will be. For optimal sail shape you would like the head sail to break evenly when you head into the wind( the sail should luff from top to bottom at the same time)
You wont get great sail shape with it furled but it's better than standing on your ear.
Old 04-03-2007

skrap1r0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
While roller furling/reefing systems are really convenient...they're not all that good for reefing more than a single reef or so. For instance, a 150% genoa can be reefed down to a 125% or so fairly well, but even with a foam or rope luff, it starts to get baggy if you try reefing it to a smaller size.
Hmm ok well this begs another question then. I have 130% and a 150% hank-on jenny's. I have no jib. I would like to get set up with a roller furler/reefer. If you only get one good reef out of one of these systems, then what size jenny do I need to consider for the system when I get it? 150? 130? What I mean, is do I want to be able to reef down to 100% only?

Also, (and I think I read this in this thread as well) But is it common to have an additional forestay installed when you put in a roller furler for smaller hank ons?
Old 04-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You could install a second stay for use with a hanked-on jib. Many cruising boats do this to provide a way to support a storm staysail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap1r0n
... If you only get one good reef out of one of these systems, then what size jenny do I need to consider for the system when I get it? 150? 130?
The advice with my furlex is to take in 3-4 turns for the first reef, thereafter its continuous down to nothing. Frankly, on a cruising yacht in winds over 35 knots, the difference between a furled genoa and a full jib of the same area is a bit acedemic. Yes, the jib is better aerodramatically, but in 35 knots you have plenty of wind to spare, so the difference only counts on the famous lee shore. But you can still claw your way away from it with a furled genoa and reefed main.
I experimented a lot with furling and reefing last year (plenty of wind), with mine, taking down the main and using more genoa area seems to point better, but with running, the reefed main seems better than any genoa. It depends on the boat, I guess. I previously used a 150 genoa, but it really only helps a little when poled-out down wind, when the spi is better anyway. So my new sail is 140 and I don't notice the difference in power, except it points better.
Having said that, my scruffy old jib points just as well.
Old 04-03-2007

skrap1r0n is on a distinguished road
I have only used my 130. I haven't even tried the 150 yet. I will next time out I believe.