Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Cam,

You mentioned "... docking damage...". Now exactly what do you mean?? Surely you have never rubbed the dock?

(smile)

- CD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
docking damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Cam,

You mentioned "... docking damage...". Now exactly what do you mean?? Surely you have never rubbed the dock?

(smile)

- CD
The question reminds me of the wonderful day we launched my old C&C 30, sporting a just finished, barely dry, fire engine red Awlgrip job. White bottom, white double boottop and new gold foil cove strip, she was breath-taking to behold.

How exciting. I backed her out of the straps, pulled over the work dock, and jumped on the float to tie her up. Yikes, she came in with just a little way on, which rolled the midship fender up, and before I could get the fender back down, the float edge put a two foot long gouge exactly in the middle of the topsides.

That was twenty years ago - I happened to see the boat last year and that paint job still looks pretty good, but my eyes immediately picked that scratch out of the general wear-n-tear..

Last edited by sailingfool; 11-10-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
CD.... Why do you think I anchor out so much?? The problem with a dark blue hull is that those white dock strips do tend to leave a mark!
Old 11-11-2006

empresa is on a distinguished road
Right on,

It is all a part of the game. Compare the insurance, taxes, mortgage et all of life on shore to the maintainance costs of a boat, and it will be an eye opener. I have (not to "ad naseaum") been working on boats just about as long as I have lived, and I guess I would say that describing your issues to other cruisers in the same anchorage may bring some surprising (and welcome!) solutions to issues you may have onboard. You never know... I fix anything from radars to reductions, (I am an engineer) and nobody (hardly) broaches the topic with me vis-a-vis problems on board. It seems to me that all figure they must get hauled and pay the overpriced rate for labor performed all too often by unskilled non-sailors and in the end owe their life, boat, and freedom to whatever rate, price and whim the owner of the yard states.
To me, this is a travesty.
I propose, I guess, that we all try like hell to utilize each other when it comes to repairs. (I also realise that this is akin to asking a pile of anarchists to elect a spokesman) but I do not think inexperienced Mexican laborers (as there were in the last yard I worked for) are worth $80.00 an hour. (I KNOW they aren't.)
I guess what I am saying is look to our own for expertise and time, not the fllatlanders.
Old 11-11-2006

BarryL is on a distinguished road
maintenance costs

Hello,

As others have posted, if you are going to pay a yard to perform all the work required to maintain a boat, you will pay more than $3K a year (on average).

On the other hand, if you do most of the work yourself, you can cut that down significantly.

I was worried about maintenance costs when, in 2004, I bought a 1986 Newport 28. To my relief, maintenance costs have been very low. I live on Long Island, NY, and my boat gets hauled in the fall and launched in the spring. I am fortunately in that the yard I use allows me to work on the boat and they provide power and water. Anyway, I winterize the boat myself (costs less than $50 for antifreeze, oil, filters, etc.) In the spring I sand and paint the bottom (about $200 for paint, sandpaper, etc.). Add some extra money for bedding compound, etc,. and you get the idea.

I bought and installed a GPS / Sounder myself, very easy to do and pretty cheap too.

I did pay a guy to remove an old thru hull speed sensor, I was afraid that if I did something wrong the boat would sink.

Some other things I have done include: install new head ($200 for head and assorted stuff), install solor powered vent ($150), remove alternator , get new voltage regulator installed, re-install alternator, install 2 new batteries, change engine oil, trans fluid, coolant, zincs, etc.

The thing is that if you have some time and are willing to learn, you can do most of the maintenance yourself. If you have a lot of money, you can pay people to do it (which is certainly easier).

I like to save money on the standard things so that when it's time to buy a new set of sails it doesn't hurt so much.

Barry
Barry Lenoble
Noble Prize
1986 Newport 28
Mt. Sinai, NY
Old 11-11-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
For me, there are some things I'm willing to pay for the first time, so I can SEE how they are done, not just read about it. Having owned 3 English cars, I had to become somewhat proficient mechanically, but often times found myself taking the long way around on some stuff. So far this summer, I've installed a wind generator, a new 3 battery house bank, new high output alternator w/external regulator, reinstalled the entire propane system from bottle to stove, rebedded too many things to count, replumbed most of the boat, fabricated a new shift lever, and other various assorted routine things.

What I didn't do is rebuild the anchor locker lids and install the new windlass, make any cables over 8 gauge, or any epoxy work, though I did watch how all of these were done (and ask lots of questions) so I could do them myself next time I need to.

Even so, I still went way over my budgeted amount for the refit. But at least I know what I have now.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
One of the most sensible pieces of advise I've read here is doing as much work yourself as possible. It takes longer and may not come out quite as well, or maybe better, but in the end you know how it was done and, if necessary, are much more able to fix it or troubleshoot it. This is how the boat becomes YOUR boat. Otherwise you're probably just renting.