Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
what would you pay?

I recently came across some haul out and repair receipts from a 34' boat that was surveyed every three years by the owner. Its an early 90's CS. The repairs included things like bottom paint and minor blisters, hoses, fittings, bearings, packing, minor gelcoat work, nothing that looked too major. All work done by reputable yards. The cost averaged 3 grand every time. Not having owned a boat before, is this a price that I can expect every three years?
Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2006

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
Haul out costs

In a word, no. A third of that would be realistic, and the more work you can do yourself, the more (very expensive) boatyard labor costs you can save.
Old 11-10-2006
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I was hoping you would say that. At least, if I put an offer on this boat, I know everything that has been done, and their shouldn't be too many surprises. knock on wood! At 80 bucks an hour, service sure does add up.
Old 11-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labor is often the most expensive component of any repair. If you do the work yourself, it has several benefits over having a yard do it.

1) You know how the work was done.
2) You know what materials were used.
3) You know who to blame if the repair has a problem.
4) Saves you some money.
5) If you do have a problem with the same thing, it is likely that you'll have a pretty good idea of how to fix it, and what went wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-10-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Shouldn't be too many surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbaylostboys
I was hoping you would say that. At least, if I put an offer on this boat, I know everything that has been done, and their shouldn't be too many surprises. knock on wood! At 80 bucks an hour, service sure does add up.
I certainly would not make that assumption. You would easily spend $3,000 A YEAR having a yard do just routine annual maintenance, and the items you referenced are of that type. When (not IF) the boat needs upgrades and refits you can face some real costs, where $3,000 is chump change. Sure you can take some stuff on yourself, if you have the time, skills and patience. But CS is a quality marque, and future buyers expect work on such boatsto be done properly if not professionally, and not all us handy-man tinkers have the expertise necessary to do specialty marine repairs properly. Samples of upgrades, any ONE of which would cost more than $3,000: new cushions, electronics, sails, wiring, steering, deck core repairs, rigging, and the list goes on. FWIW my annual budget for a 36 including winter haul is $5,000 including no financing or yard repair charges.
If the boat in question has been properly maintained over the past 15 years, the owner should have a 1-2 inch high stack of receipts, what you describe sounds like just keeping things afloat.
Boats are expensive, quality boats like CS are very expensive and yard service bills for quality boats are "if you have to ask you can't afford it...C. Vanderbilt"

Last edited by sailingfool; 11-10-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-10-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Fool, very good response!...
please also note that your "yard" may not allow you to do a bottom job on your own boat.

from a marina's newletter...
"As is our policy, we cannot allow any open air sanding. Remember we are a dustless sanding yard and this means that no bottom paint dust or chips can enter the ground around your boat. If you plan to do extensive bottom prep work this winter or spring, please specify on the enclosed decommissioning work order to have us lay a tarp on the ground before we block your boat so that stands can be on top of the tarp. This is mandatory. Do it yourself bottom prep, sanding and scraping must be done on "approved" ground cover tarps."

Was it surveyed every three years for insurance purposes?

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-10-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Lost...
I would suggest that 3k is the MINIMUM you may expect. The normal little stuff is what you HOPE for...but then you get slammed by the big stuff every now and then...tranny failure, refrigeration goes, major engine problems, docking damage etc.
Not trying to discourage you...but boats will always cost more than you plan...and make you happier than you thought!!
Old 11-10-2006
Hitchin' a ride

That was my next question. I am a DIYer. Do yards charge a lot (per diem) to let you work on your own boat after its been hauled and surveyed. I wouldn't take on the big stuff, but minor repairs are up my alley.
No, not discouraged. Its the reality of owning a boat that I am learning, with your gracious advice. Don't know why it was surveyed every three years, I will find out today when I go see it. As for a quality boat, I would rather pay more for the quality boat in the hopes that things will last longer, than say, buying a cheaper boat where parts look like they would break off in your hand.
I would never assume that there won't be big repairs. I have too much experience with classic car repair to fall for that one! I even owned a British car once. The passenger seat was filled with spare parts. There were more repairs than what I listed, including standing rigging. What is good to see is that he had everything fixed that the surveyor recommended.

Last edited by bestfriend; 11-10-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
You need to do some careful shopping in this area. Where we are, if you price out a typical 3 day spring haulout, you'll find prices work out around the same with lift fees and storage(day) fees. However if you break it down, one yard has a higher lift fee but a lower daily rate, others vice versa. If all goes according to plan, your 3 day cost is the same, but if you pick the one with the highest daily rate, and then find some unexpected problem(s) you could end up paying that rate for an extended period of time.
Old 11-10-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Hell, maintenance expenses are the easy part of boat ownership, since I'm a DIYer too. Just seasonal slip fees and winter drydock storage alone, costs me $4,500 ANNUALLY . . . and the rates keep on rising each year. Add to that insurance, service parts & gear, high labor rates when I DO need to hire someone, + the loss in wages each hour I'm not working for my clients . . . I don't want to know the total amount I spend each year.

You will be better off with a quality-built boat - through fewer breakdowns and a higher pride of ownership. In spite of the costs, there's never been a doubt in my mind that it's all worth it. Keep on working for your dream and never look back.