Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007
Break, curse, fix, repeat

bwindrope is on a distinguished road
Have to chime in here about pilothouses in general and our Gulf 32 in particular. This has been a great thread to come across, and I echo all sentiments toward creating a pilothouse specific part of this forum. They are all fairly unique from their dark depressing brethren, and most share similar design objectives.

Anyway, love our Gulf 32 for all the reasons others like Rick have mentioned. Ours is a beauty that had been commissioned in 88 as a true cruiser with lots of beefy good equipment, and then experienced benign neglect on the Columbia river until we got her 18 months ago. Sails raised like 10 times in the 19 years before we got her. 500 hours on the diesel. Like I said, benign neglect.

I am 18 months into a complete overhaul and recommissioning! It's been a tremendous amount of almost always fun work. List of projects I've completed goes on and on.

We're outfitting her for extensive coastal cruising and eventual/hopeful trips down the West Coast from our home base in Washington to Baja and such. In the meantime, we sail her extensively in this paradise and up to British Columbia. On her almost every weekend for 10 months of the year, and then still a bit in mid-winter.

As I've written elsewhere, we love most everything about her. Her looks, her comfort, her visibility, her stiffness, her speed under sail, and so on. Always proud, rarely jealous. I would love a chance to shake Bill Garden's hand!

Tried to upload pictures. Can't. Any tricks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
You need 10 posts before you can post links or pics. Once there, using a host site like photobucket.com works best, Sailnet's own image posting/attaching is very limited.

Go to the song chain of some such thread, an easy way to get your post count up.

Welcome to Sailnet! We have friends with a G32, they love it as well.
Old 12-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Read this thread's OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
Have to chime in here about pilothouses in general and our Gulf 32 in particular. This has been a great thread to come across, and I echo all sentiments toward creating a pilothouse specific part of this forum. They are all fairly unique from their dark depressing brethren, and most share similar design objectives.

Anyway, love our Gulf 32 for all the reasons others like Rick have mentioned. Ours is a beauty that had been commissioned in 88 as a true cruiser with lots of beefy good equipment, and then experienced benign neglect on the Columbia river until we got her 18 months ago. Sails raised like 10 times in the 19 years before we got her. 500 hours on the diesel. Like I said, benign neglect.

I am 18 months into a complete overhaul and recommissioning! It's been a tremendous amount of almost always fun work. List of projects I've completed goes on and on.

We're outfitting her for extensive coastal cruising and eventual/hopeful trips down the West Coast from our home base in Washington to Baja and such. In the meantime, we sail her extensively in this paradise and up to British Columbia. On her almost every weekend for 10 months of the year, and then still a bit in mid-winter.

As I've written elsewhere, we love most everything about her. Her looks, her comfort, her visibility, her stiffness, her speed under sail, and so on. Always proud, rarely jealous. I would love a chance to shake Bill Garden's hand!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-26-2007

SVSantana is on a distinguished road
We have a Roberts Spray 36' steel pilothouse ketch, visibility is good keep better watches in bad weather as you don't have to get out in the rain and bad weather. Dual steering stations, I redesigned it so the salon is in the pilothouse and at sea it has an athwartships berth in the pilothouse. Dinette breaks down to a bed like most boats. But you can keep watch in all sorts of weather. Windows are no big deal Steel hull would probably collapse before the windows gave way. Excellent ventilation when at sea or at port. Usually sleep in the pilothouse when in port and use alternate dinette below decks for eating. We have a/c but very seldom ever use it because the air flow is excellent.
Old 12-27-2007

RickBowman:
I was the builder of my boat. Too awhile woriing on weekends. about 6 1/2 years.
Could have done it faster, but what the heck, completed in 1988. Been around once, getting ready to go again in the beginning if 2012.
I have a dinette in the PH that also serves as an at sea pilot berth or fold down into queen size in port berth. Have standard 2 settee berths in main salon, even though I call the PH the main. Normal V-berth forward, used mostly for storing gear. I did a lot of mockups using cardboard until I got it the way I wanted.
Another thing I like about being steel, is when I lock up at night, it would take a cutting torch to get in my boat. My PH windows are 1" thick armor plate glass, synthetic, the same as they use to mae aircraft canopies. Will withstand 30-06 rifle round fired at it. Will glaze but won't penetrate. Over done I admit, but the windows are the least of my worries
You could sleep six, in three cabins, but who would want that many on a boat anyway.
Old 12-28-2007

pics

I'm away from home right now and will have to wait until I get home, Sorry. You can go to this site and see one similar, mines ketch rigged and a little different layout in the PH.
Won't let me post a link. don't have enough posts yet. Just go to bruceroberts.com and look for the Spray 36c.
Also the design is you step down from the cockpit into the PH and then step down into the cabin. Kind of like a tri-level home. Thats why the PH profile is so low. Also engine access is under the PH and the deck lifts up to gain access to the engine. You have standing room ub the engine compartment. No big deal to install or remove engine if needed. Total access on all sides of engine.

Last edited by SVSantana; 12-28-2007 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-28-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like my boat a fair bit.

Old 12-29-2007

I thought of going with the aftcabin design on my boat, but figured I'd make my main stateroom in the PH instead.
Old 01-04-2008
J's Island Trader 46

Jeff450 is on a distinguished road
Island Trader 46' visibility from the inside pilothouse helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
As far as a pilothouse model, how is the visibility from the inside helm? And what can you get for speed under power? I always figured I'd rather have an IT46 than a trawler. At least you can do some sailing in one...
Visability is good for sailing in non-congested waters, but I wouldn't dock from inside. I have held her at 7.5 knots in mild conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilothouse designs-80_islandtrader007.jpg  
Old 01-04-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Brian W (aka Bwindrope) - Cool, I like your boat, too. Wanted a G32 for years. Ended up "settling" for a custom Wm. Garden-designed Gulf 40 and lived/sailed for 3 years on the Columbia River. Moved up here 4 years ago - boatless - and now have a different pilothouse. Love it! Anyway, are you moored at the Port or elsewhere? My boat is on Mitchell Bay close to Snug Harbor. I'll take you sailing if you take me...

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.